Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #1 
JWHymes

Unhappy VERY Sick Betta....Mickey.

Evening all. I didn't know where else to turn so I joined here in hopes of getting some answers. About 2 weeks ago I picked up my first Betta fish whom I found in one of the Walmart isles. I felt so bad for the little guy because of the deplorable living conditions that they all were in. He looked the most healthy so I figured I would give him a nice home and save him. I temporarily housed him in a one gallon tank until I was able to properly setup a 5 gallon home for him. I noticed that while he was in his old home he would quite frequently dart very fast around the tank and also try to scratch against the little air stone attached to the air pump. I moved him over to his new place last Wednesday and he seemed really happy! Just the other day his whole attitude had changed and he started to hide, all day mind you, in his little cave I had bought him. I checked all the levels in the tank and they were spot on. Just yesterday he came out of his little cave and would just hover in one spot and barely move, he has been doing that since. He did eat a little but didn't seem as interested as he was when I first got him home. His fins are now really clamped and he sits just below the water level only moving to go up for some air. He just seems very lethargic. I did manage to catch him deficating and saw that it was a stringy brown color. I bought some meds for the little guy, some Rid Ich + and some Jungle Internal Parasite Clear. I haven't used both as I know better but I figured I would start off with the Rid Ich + as from what I been reading it seems like he might have Velvet. He sort of looks like he has a gold coating on his small little side fins but it's so hard to tell even with a flashlight. I do recall seeing a few days after I brought him home a little white sack fall off of him that came from around his gill area underneath his body but I thought nothing of it at the time. I have attached some pics that I took today to see if anybody out there can come up with any ideas. This is first Betta and this is all new to me but I am trying to be a diligent owner. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I know Mickey will appreciate it as well!
Attached Images

JWHymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #2 
JWHymes

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 82 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Bites
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1x daily 5-6 bites

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle Start Right

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4
Hardness: Semi-hard
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Clamped fins, small loss of fin on bottom of body.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic not really eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Ick Rid +
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know
Old 10-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #3 
Adastra

Did the five gallon tank undergo the nitrogen cycle already? Do you have a master test kit and can you tell us ammonia/nitrite/nitrate?

Velvet is often misdiagnosed--it looks like yellowy granules in between the scales. Like a matte mustard powder sort of yellow, not metallic yellow-green like your fish might seem to show in certain kinds of light. I would stop the malachite green treatment and let him have a break from the medication for a few days before starting the Parasite Clear. He looks a little bloated, so you should probably cut back to 3-4 pellets per day.

Last edited by Adastra; 10-11-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #4 
JWHymes

I do have test strips which test Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, Water Hardness and PH levels. I do a test daily. Today's results are as follows.
PH 6.5
Alkalinity 40
Hardness Hard(150)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Old 10-12-2010, 11:53 PM   #5 
ashleyy

My betta did the same thing. I got him from walmart too.

He didn't start coming around until I had him for a month. He would just sit there in his cave and never do anything. He wouldn't even eat. Then one day he just decided to eat and become more active lol.
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lethargic, sick, velvet