Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #1 
naturegirl243

Goldfish in need....what should I do?

Well some friends of mine (a mother and daughter) I know through horses and working for the mother and whatnot have a goldfish(buddy) and a pleco(spots) that live in a 10 gal. filtered tank.The daughter won Buddy at a school fun fair thing and they bought Spots a few months ago at petco.Well the poor tank has not had any sort of water change since long BEFORE they got Spots this summer.All they do is add some tap water when the tank water evaporates a little.Also sometime this summer the daughter stopped feeding the fish.But th emother has been feeding them I don't know how often she does though but the seem to be a fine weight.Today the mother offered me the tank and filter and gravel and plants and both fish for nothing she just wants to get rid of them which the won't unless I take them otherwise the fish will stay there.I really don't know what to do I don't have a spot for another 10 gal. I also don't have alot of time with my job,horse, and 6 boys plus the two females I am tending too until the sorrority is done cycling.I feel like they would be better off here with a little bit of care then there with none at all for months on end.What should I do? I really don't want to overwhelm myself but I feel so bad for the poor fish who does not seem like it's going to die anytime soon.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #2 
purplemuffin

You could at least maybe take them for a short time, and give them to a new home with proper instructions?
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #3 
naturegirl243

Maybe but once I take them I will get attached I would feel so bad giving them away.Not knowing what is happening to them and wondering if they are getting abused again.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #4 
Adastra

Any place they end up can't possibly be as horrible as a slow death in a 10 gallon deathchamber. I would use local resources such as aquarium clubs and societies to try to rehome the goldfish or at least the pleco. If no such homes can be found, give them to a local pet store--preferably one whose husbandry practices aren't deplorable. If nothing else--humane euthanasia would be better than their current situation.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:29 AM   #5 
naturegirl243

I think I am going to take them for a bit I can probably keep the pleco I just worry about the goldfish I will have to move some stuff around to find a spot big enough and high enough for a 10 gal. so my dog does not drink out of it or eat the fish which she probably would do but the tank dos have a hood.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:33 AM   #6 
Adastra

Honestly, the sooner they're out of that 10G the better. Fostering them in that tank won't be doing all that much good--definitely try to rehome them as quickly as possible so that they can be placed in more suitable living conditions. It's just not plausible or ethical to keep two monstrous waste producing pond fish in a 10G tank. Definitely try to hit up a local aquarium society.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #7 
Alex09

If you honestly think it would be too overwhelming then dont take them - No need to martyr yourself over a fish.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #8 
BlueHaven

It's easier to take them in your hands and find them a good home then leaving them to live in horrible conditions, it might just take a little time.
Or look around for a home for the goldfish & pleco, then take them off your friend's hands when you do?
It's really not that hard to do a water change and feed a fish, it would only take up to 15-20 minutes, especially with only one tank. Easier if it's only 10 percent everyday of the week and on the weekends, and clean gravel & water on weekends.
You could try talking to them about it. Find easy ways for them to take care of their fish while you find a good home.

Hope it all works out!
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #9 
naturegirl243

Thanks I don't know what to do I really doubt my petstores well take the fish they don't have any goldfish the size of buddy and petco would probably take the pleco sine it came from there.I would love to give them a bigger tank I would get a 20 gal. I just don't have a space for anything that big I am still racking my mind where I would put the 10 gal. I supose I could offer to clean the tank once a week.I could probably swing that on one of my few days off.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #10 
Adastra

Cleaning it once a week isn't a good solution either. It's just prolonging the inevitable--even for a small goldfish, a 10G is no way to live a good life. 20G is bare, bare, bare minimum for one fancy goldfish, and not a good permanent solution because goldfish are social animals and need to interact with their own kind. If it's a comet or a common goldfish, keeping it is -completely- unrealistic and you should focus on rehoming it.

If you can, you should really do some specific research into goldfish care. Try doing some reading around here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/ so that you can better understand the needs of the goldfish so you can make a more informed decision about the fish's future.

Last edited by Adastra; 10-12-2010 at 11:42 PM.