Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #1 
Reflux

New Betta Help

I've picked up Mana from a pet shop, he has a white body and orange fins and tail. I have difficulty in indentifying white spots.

He was acting all weird and swimming around rapidly in his new tank and he seems to be swimming against the walls of the tank, and tje goes down to the bottom of the tank and stays there motionless and repeat the swimming again.

Is something wrong with Mana?
Reflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It could be adjustment related, how is his appetite, how big is the tank, filtration, what kind of dechlorinator are you using if on city water supply, water temp, can you see anything on him to rule out exteral parasites?
Can you post pic?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #3 
Reflux

His appetite is really bad, he doesn't eat. It's a 1 gallon tank, i just got it along with my Mana. I haven't purchased a thermometer but considering that I'm living in Asia, the room temperature is 75-80F. He looks pretty normal to me.

http://yfrog.com/n8imag0088xj

Sorry for the lousy camera.

Last edited by Reflux; 10-12-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

What a lovely Betta you have.....

Since you just got him-it may be adjustment issue with the poor appetite and behavior-no filter or live plants? what about dechlorinator-do they treat the water in Asia with chlorine/chloramines? Do you know if you have heavy metals in your water.....often heavy metals can make a fish irritated/itchy until they adjust to it (some do and some don't-depends on levels) or if it is removed/bound with chemical additives like Prime

In 1gal unfiltered and no live plants I would make twice weekly water changes of 1-50% and 1-100%- (twice weekly 100% even better) provided that you don't overfeed and uneaten food is removed after feeding and water changes with any behavior changes once he settles in....
Old 10-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #5 
Reflux

Thanks, I personally thought Mana looked like a king, apparently his color seems to be stronger when compared to the one I saw at the store, he's turning abit blue which kinda makes me a little dissapointed as I thought he was a 'Dragon'.

Oh yes, I'm from Singapore and I think our water is being treated, I've once read it up that from a local forum. I bought a live plant earlier on but it seemed to be too tall for my tank and I have not purchased gravelsyet.

Rest assure that there are no metal in the tank.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Not metal in the tank per se...but metals in the water that naturally occur and it can also be from old pipes.......I have well water and during drought we have heavy metal problems. Sometimes they will have that information listed on the water supply company web-site-I know they have it here in the US anyway....

What are your plans with Bettas-its hard to have just one...laffs.....
Old 10-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #7 
Reflux

It'll just be one for now, I'm not exactly sure whether Mana thinks of me as a good owner and taking on more bettas may not be a good thing.

I tried to add a mudkip figurine into the tank and it scared the hell out of Mana the second it touched the surface of the water.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #8 
Reflux

http://www.pub.gov.sg/general/Pages/WaterTreatment.aspx

Would you mind helping me check on the metal data, I think here are some values and use the values from *Water from Choa Chu Kang & Bedok Waterwork.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

I can't get the page to load for me..

Got it to load...

It looks pretty good overall-the process uses carbon and that helps with heavy metals and the overall levels are low anyway at the process point. Heavy metal can also be from your pipe-if you let your water run for a minute to clear the pipe that can help some too.
They use ammonia and here in the states that means chloramine along with chlorine.

I would use a good dechlorinator that covers-chlorine, chloramine and heavy metal-this will insure that everything is covered and not a cause of any odd behavior.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-12-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #10 
Reflux

Must have been a government site that somehow's resticted..

Last edited by Reflux; 10-12-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Copy-pasting doesn't works.