Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2014, 11:53 PM   #1 
Aryia

Virgin Pair Help?

Hi everyone,
I released the female on Friday and finally today, two days later, they seem ready to spawn. The female is wriggling under the Styrofoam cup, and the male is too, but they can't seem to figure out how! The female is so excited that she's spraying eggs everywhere, while the male can't figure out how to wrap her. They then get distracted by all the eggs and try to pick them up or eat them.

Is there anything.. that you can do to help this?

Also, is it dangerous to leave the female in overnight? I don't want them to mate overnight and have the female killed because I didn't separate them in time.
Aryia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:06 AM   #2 
amphirion

what your bettas need is practice, practice, practice.... it might be a while before they get the kinks straightened out. furthermore, dad might not know how to tend to the eggs properly and might end up eating them. however, with practice, the egg mortality will lower, and the dad will know how to properly tend to the nest.

it is not dangerous to leave the female in overnight provided that 1) the tank is well planted, and 2) the lights are turned off so the male doesnt see her. just take her out as soon as you can.
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #3 
Aryia

Well, they actually decided to prove me wrong and wrap correctly minutes within me writing this posts (after me watching them fail for hours!)

How can you tell if the male is eating the eggs? I'm worried if I go up to them he'll feel threatened and actually eat them.

Also, when do I know when to take the female out? She is going back to spawn again.. but the male seems to be clueless about what to do.. once again.

Aye.. watching them makes me want to facepalm.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:25 AM   #4 
snowflake311

When the male will not let the female any where. Are the nest take her out. If he is ok with her going to the nest they are still spawning if she is scared and will not move take her out.

Sometimes it just takes a few try's and they get it. Good job. Now the real fun starts.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #5 
Aryia

I ended up taking her out when she started dashing when the male approached her. She has one pretty deep but narrow tear in her anal fin, and one missing scale it looks like and is recovering nicely.

Is there any easy way to tell if there's eggs left? I only saw them wrap once but the female went back a couple more times, though I'm not sure if they managed to wrap. So the egg count should be really low. When I shine a light on the nest I can't really see anything in or around the bubbles, I'm thinking the male probably ate them? I want to make sure there's nothing there before I remove him though.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

I've had a lot of nests where I swear there aren't any eggs present, and then had fry hatch out.

If the male is still actively interested in the nest, this is usually a good indication that eggs are there. I had a male that would eat eggs and he would quickly lose interest in the nest and abandon it completely after a couple of days.

Sometimes they push the eggs right up into the nest and you can't see them.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #7 
Aryia

I checked on his nest this morning. It's become awfully small, though it wasn't big to begin with. The bubbles are only single layer and I can't see anything in or around it. I'm almost 100% positive at this point that he's eaten most of the eggs, but I will leave him in there with what's remaining of his nest just in case there is something left.

Does egg-eating become a habit? Or will he be better now that he has more experience?
Old 01-25-2014, 12:58 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Not necessarily. I think it happens mostly with inexperienced males but an experienced breeder can tell you for sure.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote