Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #1 
eclover09

Why Are People Such Morons!

So I was talking to my friend inbetween class, and she mentioned my status on my facebook, which mentions my Betta, Christmas, having fin rot. The whole conversation on Betta's started because she didn't know what fin rot was so I explained it to her (and also explained how mystified I was how my fish got it ><). She had mentioned before her friend had two Betta's...and this is where my rant will begin. She starts off by telling me her friend has two MALE betta's in the same tank and my friend said she knows its not even a two gallon. First off, REALLY?! Even a noob should know NOT to put two male betta's in a tank together, big or small! My friend claims her friend has trained them not to attack each other by apparently tapping them with the fish net when they had started fighting and now apparently they don't fight. I preceded to tell my friend that her friend was still a idiot for having two male betta's in a tank together.

Then she tells me how that same person or some other person, she didn't specify and I was to horrified to ask, has a GOLDFISH, yes a full grown goldfish, in the tank! This is where I started to rant how people need to do there research and just have NO idea how to properly care for creatures like fish, and that Betta's arnt "beginner" fish, you need to have more then a 2.5 gallon tank and silk/live plants and a heater...and this is where my friend goes "WHAT?! Uh uh, no they do not! Ive never heard they need heaters, they don't need them" And of course my face (i was on the phone with her) goes 0.o "Yes they do!" And she argues with me that they don't, and they especially don't need more then a two gallon tank, that she's had betta's and knows people who have betta's that have been in a gallon or less and were perfectly fine with no heater or anything, to which I respond "Just cause they can freaking GET BY in those conditions doesn't mean its good for them! You can stick a dog in a room with food and water, but doesn't mean it's happy!" But she refused to listen and was just like "That is SO not what i've read, you don't need that stuff for them" To which I just got pissed and told her I was on this forum, and that I was no perfectionist but I have learned a lot about actual proper freaking CARE but then she had to go to class and the conversation ended.

I just had to post and rant cause it pisses me off people don't know jack about Betta's. I mean even a year ago when I was a total noob and wanted a Betta, I STILL did some research. Granted I didn't learn everything I learned here and learned some lies/myths, but I at least learned more then just sticking my fish in a bowl and calling it a day like other people who just randomly decide to have a Betta. I mean with any animal, people just don't seem to get it! With mice or lizards and even dogs, people just buy them but don't give a damn to actually learn how to properly care for it, I mean I don't know how many times I've had to lecture some friends because they go buy small animals like hamsters, stick them in a cage and don't know a damned proper thing about caring for it. Just freaking irks me, yeah Betta's are fish but there still animals and they still need love and attention. I love my Betta's and spend time sitting and being with them almost as much as my dogs or rabbit. People need to get BRAINS and actually take the time to learn real information!! :f rustrated: Uggghhh just so pisses me off....
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

Man that sucks. =[ I feel the same way when people tell me that strip mining isn't related to cancer and leukemia in the Appalachias. No one cares or does their research or even listens to people that do. >=/ <=/
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #3 
FuulieQ

I hate how people are so convinced that they will actually ARGUE with you when you say that bettas need enough space to turn around in their tank.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #4 
eclover09

I know -.- I mean she even argued that she had a betta once in a small tank with no heater ect ect and he was just fine. And i was like yeah, but you were what...13? When you last had your ONE Betta? I have four Betta's in a year and a half span, I think I may know a bit more then you do >< But people just never listen...
Old 10-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

Dude did you ask her how long the thing lived and come at her with the actual lifespan of a betta? I think that'd change her way of thinking. =P
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #6 
eclover09

She said hers lived for like three weeks I think? But she claims it died because she missed one time putting conditioner in the water...Personally I missed putting conditioner in my Valentine's gallon tank once when I first got him, and he didn't die >< I think it was the lack of conditioner and overall lack of care that killed the poor thing.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #7 
MadDogAcey

What wallywestisbestsaid. Also, it's easy to argue that when there is soooo much bull floating around (haha...fish humor) about betta's. I thought they'll be fine (2 males) in a split less-then-a-gal P.O.S. Yeah, needless to say I came, read these forums (saw the dog in a small room thing) and was like...
>.< I'm ABUSING MY FISH ;_;

So now they both have 1.5gals (not perfect I know). But the point is people always believe what mainstream tells them. That's just the way it is. The only hope you have is to whittle away at their stupidity and open their eyes eventually.
MadDogAcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #8 
Aluyasha

Some people just cannot take it when you correct them about anything, even if you word it nicely. My aunt is convinced that a fish absolutley will not grow bigger than the tank you put it in. She had a black moor in a 2 gallon and it only lived for like 2 months and she still will not listen to me. Also my cousin has a 55 gallon with a red devil in it and he claims you never ever need to siphon the gravel, I had to clean his tank once and he yelled at me to stop when I tried to use the siphoner...ugh, that was the most nasty tank I have ever seen.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote