Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #1 
BettaMan

About To Cycle My Tank

Hey guys, I decided I am going to cycle my tank. I have a few questions about it.

1. Is Tetra SafeStart a good product?

2. Should I take everything out of my tank and rinse it off?

3. Should I buy a new filter cartridge?

4. Can my Betta live in the little cup he came with for about a week? (Assuming thats how long it will take.) Doing 100% water changes everyday?

5. Is there anything else I should know?

Also, do you think I will stress my fish out? I got him 2 weeks ago.

Thanks
BettaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Most of the cycling products are a waste of time and money-I have read good things about a product called "Dr Tims one and only" but have never used it myself, but I also cycle with the fish in method and that can be safely done provided that you are willing to make the needed water changes.

The nitrogen cycle can take 4-8 weeks-several factor play a role in cycling time frame.

What size is your tank you want to cycle? and what is the stocking plan?
Oldfishlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

I know this is gonna sound weird but I'ma wait 10 minutes to respond to this. chances are there are at least 3 of our most experienced members writing a reply to it. =P

Their advice will most likely be better than mine. =P

I will go ahead and say that you need a temporary home of at least 1 gallon. The cup he came in isn't gonna cut it. You'd have to do at least twice daily water changes and that's near impossible in something that size. Also where would you put him while you clean the cup? And what could you float with him in it in the cup? =P

You could keep him in a vase, a really big pickle jar, or a plastic tub or plastic drawer temporarily. =]

The easiest way to find out how many gallons the enclosure you're looking at will hold is to take a 1 gallon jug or a 1 gallon tea pitcher, fill that up and see if it completely empties into the container you've chosen.

If it does congrats because you've found a home that you'll only have to clean once daily or once every other day. =]

that's all I'm posting for now though. =]

Good luck! =] If noone posts in 10-20 minutes I'll make a long post. =]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 10-12-2010 at 05:23 PM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

See! =] There you go! =] OFL is one of THE MOST experienced and knowledgeable people on this forum! =]
Old 10-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #5 
BettaMan

Thanks guys! JKFish told me how to do it with the fish in so I guess I'll just do that. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=53272
Also, I have a Aqueon 2.5 gallon MiniBow. JKFish said that I need to have a filter sponge. What is that?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #6 
Dammerung2010

It seems that some people have had good luck with Tetra Safestart and some haven't. The one thing that I've seen that's the same with a lot of the cases where it worked, is you need to shake the bottle up good before adding the solution to the tank.
Dammerung2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

In a 2.5g filtered tank-it will cycle, however, it is moot IMO-due to the number of needed water changes to maintain water quality for health and fins-that being twice weekly 50% and this is what you would do during a fish-in cycling process too.

Cycling is a good thing and can give you some wiggle room- so to speak when life happens and you miss a water change-the beneficial bacteria will help keep the water safe.

Do you have a filter or are you needing to add another filter to the tank-sponge filters are great for the smaller tanks instead of the HOB or the made in the hood type-either will work-you just need some type of filtration to help keep the bacteria oxygenated and more surface area for them to colonize.
Oldfishlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

I wouldn' use TSS exactly as the direction say if you're doing a fish-in cycle though. =/ In fact I wouldn't really use it at all in a fish-in case. =/ Those directions are ridiculous.

Good luck with fish-in cycling! =]

A filter sponge is where you have an aquarium-specific sponge in your filter. Normally a filter will have some kind of "biological filtration" piece. Like a sponge or mesh or biobals or something of the sort. Mine had mesh. It didn't cut the mustard and when I try to cycle again I've got a pack of AquaClear sponges that I can stuff in there.

The reason you need a filter sponge or something of the sort is because you need a place for the beneficial bacteria to gather in your filter. =]

A Sponge Filter on the other hand is basically an aquarium-specific sponge and an airstone hooked up to an airpump. It's simple mechanical and biological filtration all in one. =]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 10-12-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #9 
BettaMan

I would prefer to do it fish-less. So I might order some One and Only.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

Hm.... if you have the cash then I'd encourage you to go for a bigger tank as well if you're gonna fishless cycle and keep your boy in a temporary home while the tank cycles. =] The 5 gallon kits at walmart usually cost the same as the Aqueon 2.5 Minibows anyway. =]

That's just me though. =]

Also if you fishless cycle you have many different choices.

You could go with pure ammonia, shrimp method, etc...

ammonia method requires waterchanges just like fish-in cycling would (though usually not as much) whereas the shrimp method doesn't require waterchanges.