Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #11 
BettaMan

Actually, changed my mind. I'm going to do it fish-in.

My tank has a filter.
Also, could you please answer some of my questions?
1. Should I take everything out of my tank and rinse it off?
2. Should I buy a new filter cartridge?

Okay, so from my understanding this is what I should do:

Change 50% of the water 2 times a week.

Test the water daily until I have only Nitrates?

Is it really that simple?

Thanks so much!
BettaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #12 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMan View Post

My tank has a filter.

Thanks so much!
Yes you should take everything out and clean it again before you start cycling.

Remember when you clean anything in your fish tank NEVER use soap!!!!!!! Or a regular sponge!!!!!!! Use your hands and Hot water!

If you really need to use a cleaning product use straight up bleach or vinegar. And then rinse it out REALLY well with REALLY hot water and let it sit in the sun a few days.

You don't really need to. In fact you don't really need those cartridges at all. All the carbon cartridges do is polish your water. all you really need is the sponge/biological filter media.

You could if you want to though. Or you could just cut a slit in the one you already have, empty it, rinse it really well with hot water and refill it with new carbon filter media. =] It's cheaper that way.

Never use the carbon filter media/carbon cartridge when you're treating your betta fish with medication. It renders the medication useless.

After your tank is cycled all you'll have to do are 2 50% changes every week.

While you're fish in cycling you do a 25-50% change anytime the water gets too close to .4ppm. This could be as often as twice in one day.

You'll see a boom in ammonia then a fall in it, then a boom in nitrites and a fall, and a boom and fall in nitrates. when ammonia and nitrites are zero and nitrates are low, you change the water then add an ammonia source and check again the next day or in a few days and it's still 0,0, and low then you're cycled. =]

In all truth doing daily or every other day 100% changes in a temporary home while you fishless cycle is MUCH less of a headache and much easier on both you and your fish. If you can fishless cycle you should. =]

The easiest way to fishless cycle is the shrimp method because you don't do any water changes unless the ammonia gets too high:

Take 1/2 a cocktail shrimp (as you have a 2.5 gallon) put it in pantyhose, tie the pantyhose off, throw it in the tank, wait 2 or three days, test the water (preferably with a liquid test kit) and if there's .25-.35 ammonia then add your Tom's One and Only or your Tetra SafeStart. Once you do that you just wait 4 days to a week and a maybe a few days and you're cycled.

If the ammonia reaches .4 change the water! The bacteria can't survive in ammonia that high in the early stages!

Also tips to sped up fishless cycling: Turn your heater up to 85, add an air stone or an air stone strip or pad. Heat and more oxygen speeds things up in the cycling process. =]

Also no matter what kind of cycling you choose to do you should test your water daily and record the numbers. This helps you keep track of things and know if something goes wrong. =]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 10-12-2010 at 07:51 PM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #13 
wallywestisthebest333

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! =] If you want you can PM me any other questions. =]

For now though I advise looking at all the cycling threads and seeing what's worked for other people and what problems/accidents they've had.

Take me fore instance: I tried to grow a tiger lilly bulb I got at walmart in my tank while I was cycling it. It molded. I had to bleach my tank and try to start all over. I never got around to it. The tank is sitting empty because I haven't had the time! XD

So I'd advise you not to get any bulbs until after your tank is cycled. Fully grown plants are usually fine but bulbs are notorious for molding. XD
Old 10-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #14 
JessG

I have the same set up that you do. One of the things that helped me is adding a cheesecloth baffle to the outside of the filter. I cut a piece of single layer cheesecloth about the size of half a sheet of paper, then folded it until it was the length of the outflow and about an inch and a half to two inches tall. Then I took a rubber band and strapped it around the bottom of the filter and across the middle of that two inch pad of cheesecloth. I folded the top down toward the water, and made sure the cloth touched the top of the water.

It really settled down the flow, was quick and easy, and it is a second filter medium that is a great place for the bacteria you need to grow.

Good luck.
JessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #15 
wallywestisthebest333

Oh! And cheese cloth would be a great alternative to pantyhose if you can't get a hold of any. =] it would contain the shrimp well! =]

(the point of containing the shrimp is so that it doesn't foul your tank! >_<)
Old 10-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMan View Post

My tank has a filter.

Thanks so much!
Is this tank being used right now-you have a Betta in it? if so, how long and what are your current water pram numbers-also what kind of product are you using to test the water-the beauty of this cycle method is you don't have to have water testing products on hand-if you have the strips-cut them down the middle so you can get two test out of them.
And yes, in smaller tanks its that simple......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote