Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2010, 01:13 AM   #1 
ForbiddenSecrets

Talking So I'm thinking of getting a 38 Gallon Divided...

... but I'm still totally indecisive. T.T It would mean basically chucking out all the money I had already spent [which is kinda okay if my fish have more space] and I'd give to of my tanks to my GF to upgrade her 2 gallon ones and the 2.5 to my friend Adam who really wants a King but can't afford a whole set up at the moment.

I'd be buying a 38 Gal glass with a filter and a full spectrum florescent light lid. Also I'd be getting custom fitted acrylic dividers with a hole pattern I've yet to map out and sealed in place with high quality sealant. A little pricey but the horror stories I've read with faulty dividers.... since I know the company and my dad works with it I figured I might as well.

The thing that is stopping me from taking the proverbial plunge is heating and filtration. I've read that some people have issues with water quality being uniform and I don't know how much that applies to heaters as well. Would they be better off with a small-er heater in each section Vs a large one in one section?

I'd love to give my babies each roughly 12 gallons of space and have it all together but I'm a little afraid it could cause more harm then good.

Opinions?
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #2 
ForbiddenSecrets

Anyone have experience with a divided tank? [Also I saw a lovely 60 gallon which would be only about 100 more with the dresser stand thing under it so I might just upscale then to 20 gallons each XD]
Old 10-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #3 
crowntail lover

I have had a great deal with BIG(60 gallon) tanks divided.. I personally like have a heater in each divided section as well as a filter depending on the size of the tank. This is and always has worked for me
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #4 
ForbiddenSecrets

I was thinking about a filter/heater in each section if I did get the 60 to eliminate problems with Water Quality so it's good to hear someone acutally uses that method lol. c:
Old 10-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

Back in the bad old days when I had divided tanks (no, I'm not a big fan of them), I always put a filter in each compartment. I only used one heater per tank, but then the biggest divided tank I had was a 20 gal. split 3 ways.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

If you are going with anything bigger then a 40+ gal. I would use a heater in each section.. :]
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #7 
Neelie

i've had a 32g divided with a kind of drip system for each section. look up my older threads if ya want... might give you some ideas
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #8 
ForbiddenSecrets

Neelie [and crowntail lover] how much luck did you have with these tanks? What were the common problems?

I have room to keep a 60 gallon tank but not three 20 gallon tanks. Or even three 10 gallon tanks. Thus I would love to divide one I just want to make sure its not asking for disaster.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:58 AM   #9 
Neelie

well mine would have worked, and it did, just my inexperience messed it up a few times and i got tired of rebuilding it.

my mistakes were overfeeding and worm infestation due to not vaccum cleaning, then i added a new fish with his petshop water which ruined the cycle and i had the wrong bulb which promoted algae growth; a disaster in a divided.

all in all though i thought it was a great tank. but just not for me as some of my fish didnt like it. its a trial and error as to what fish you get likes it.... lol.

it depends on you really.
there are both pro's and con's.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote