Betta Fish Forum banner

Possible tank decor

865 views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Alex09 
#1 ·
I have a 5g Hex with my 3 Corycats and 1 of my Bettas in it right now. Anyhoo, which of the below decorations do you think would go best in my 5g? (I am going to keep this tank for future fish since it is expensive in stores and is awesome and I got it for cheap a while back, haha.)

Sorry the pic is bad, I want to put the decoration where the cory cat is on the bottom right of the tank.

the decorations I am considering:

(the cave one on the bottom)

See less See more
#2 ·
My personal preference, for choosing decorations involves actually handling them in the stores.

Having had a bad experience with a sharp cave that decimated my poor halfmoon's tail (he has about nothing left of his tail fin, poor guy), I've never ordered them online since.

So, anyway, just feel them up at the pet store--they look cute, but you still have to physically look at them to make sure your betta will fit, and that they aren't rough or sharp for the fins of your fish.

#4 ·
I admit I like the bridges. I think I might go with one of those. These are from the internet so I can't see them in person, but the betta isn't getting entangled in the fake plants in there so I am not as worried about tearing his fins more with one of these, I was looking for something that didn't look too jagged.

#6 · (Edited)
I only have 3. They seem content with the 5g. Half the time they sit in one place anyways :p

#9 ·
I don't go to Petsmart cus it is a pain to drive there where I live, Petco by me doesn't have a good selection. and I dunno of another petstore around here. I have other things I want to get too and it will be cheaper to get them online at once.

I just asked which decoration would look best with the look of my tank. I am aware of things to look out for when getting decorations for my fish. Don't worry, I am keeping an eye out for my guys.

#10 ·
i like both the cave and the 2nd bridge. i really like the cave tho, its cute :)

question: does your guy get along with the albinos alright? i'm lookin at getting some cories but on the aquarium stocking calculator it said that albinos aren't recommended for bettas, so i'm curious, cause i love albino cories, they're adorable!

#11 ·
the first betta I had with them (the one in my avatar) got along with them great. the first day I had them the corys were freaking out cus they were in a new tank and one landed on the betta's head but the betta didn't really care. The second betta with them was curious about them but could care less, unfortunately, thatt betta died soon after from ich (which the cories surprisingly never got). This one I have with them likes their shrimp pellets and pecked at one when it got in the way once, but other than that I have never seen the betta react much to them. He lived in a tank next to them (divided tank) since I have had him prior to just now living with them, so he might have been used to them. But maybe my cory cats are just boring or something. who knows.

#12 · (Edited)
Hmmm... My cories are swimming around the tank like 60-75% of the time and staying still the rest. In an old tank I once put some kind of chichlid in a tank with a few bronze cories. A few hours after he went in, the cories went to a cave and turned into statues. I think its a defense mechanism for when they are stressed out or feeling in danger? I noticed the chichlid tore chunks out of their dorsal fins so I returned him and they went back to normal.

Generally speaking a 5 gallon is not adequate for a betta and cories. Plus its a hex tank that lowers the odds even more - but whats done is done. Hope it works out! decorate it heavily in case the betta ever gets pissed at the cories since they dont have much room to escape.

#13 ·
Mine swim around sometimes. Before when I didn't have a betta they stayed in one place half the time too. Anyways, this thread isn't about my fish it is about what would match the tank's look. One of the bridges I posted in this thread was at the petstore when I went there today to get cat food. it didn't as good as it did on the net :p

#15 ·
Yeah, those bridges are rather small. I would go with a nice chunk of driftwood. They had all kinds of crazy shaped mopani wood at my petco. only about $9 too. My driftwood has a huge gap on the back and it makes a really awesome cave. my cories love it! They like their dino skull too.

#16 ·
exactly, it was too small. there was this log decoration i liked but it was from the reptile section. i didn't know if it was safe or not or else I would have gotten it.

#17 ·
Was it wood or plastic or ceramic? If its safe for use in terrariums (many are very humid) its probably safe for aquariums. Did you check the tag? I found my driftwood in the reptile section. It said it was safe for both terrariums and aquariums.

If its mopani wood then you can definitely use it in aquariums unless it says otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.