Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #1 
TaylorW

Unhappy A Turn for the Worse!

My previous thread:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=53202

The first white spot disappeared, but now a new one has appeared in the same place on the other side of his head. There is also a hole where the first white spot was, and a pinhole in his tail!!! Help!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #2 
TaylorW

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong
Old 10-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #3 
Adastra

Well, first off, I don't think you were overcleaning your tank. The uncycled method means you have to not only change the water, but clean the tank. The concept is based on providing your fish with a sterile environment with no beneficial bacteria and no ammonia.

Anyway, are the spots fuzzy? Perhaps lowering the temperature slowly by a degree every couple of hours will help stop the bacteria from growing. Some bacteria become extremely active at around 80 degrees, so slowly lowering the temperature to around 76 degrees can be quite helpful.

Can you describe any changes in behavior that you've observed? Lethargy, rapid breathing, clamped fins, hiding, darting, floating, sinking--that kind of thing--it can give us a better idea of how bad he's feeling and how severe the infection may be.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

You can make the environment too clean-like us fish don't live in sterile environment-we/they need some bacteria- without it- the immune response can't function proper and every little bug can cause a problem because you won't have any natural antibodies built up for your immune response to ID as being bad that need to be fought.

With 100% water changes-all you need to do is empty the water-rinse with warm-not hot water and re-fill-even with unfiltered tanks you will have some beneficial bacteria-limited-but you will have some-In closed systems you have all kinds of stuff in the water, not just ammonia-your goal with a water change is to dilute and limit the numbers not try and rid the tank 100% of all the bad stuff because you also get rid of all the good stuff too.

It is kinda like the antibacterial soap and antibiotics-it can't tell the difference between the good and bad bacteria-so it kills everything......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #5 
TaylorW

I've stopped over-cleaning my tank, I even save a little bit of the old water to put back in so that I keep a few bacteria. I don't wash the plants or decorations anymore and I scoop out a little bit of the gravel before I clean the tank so that the bacteria will stay on that gravel and rinse the rest.

I've been adding salt to the water and doing a 20% water change one day then 95% water change the next. But he has a 2nd white spot, a hole where the first spot was, and now his tail is getting holes! :(
Old 10-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #6 
TaylorW

His top fin and little front fins also have some curling.... But I don't think that ever went away from when I got him at the pet store...
Old 10-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

How is he acting overall and appetite?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #8 
TaylorW

He wasn't moving much yesterday, but he acts like he's feeling a bit better today. Swimming around a bit more now. Last night he just kept sitting on his plant by the water surface and not moving much. That's when I started getting worried and made this thread...

Fortunately no appetite problems!

Is there anything else besides what I'm doing that I can do to help boost his immune system? Every time I stop putting salt in the water he comes down with something...

The spots were fuzzy, one was sticking out from the skin quite a ways, but when I add salt to the water they disappear and leave behind what looks like a hole? Like a small indention in the skin... Is this a fungus?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #9 
TaylorW

Thanks for trying to help me once again Oldfishlady! And thanks to you too Adastra, I greatly appreciate all your advice! And sorry for asking so many questions
Old 10-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

That make me think parasite when I hear-white area leaves and a hole is left behind-could be fish lice, anchor worms, ich to name a few-you may want to treat for external parasites

How long are you doing the salt treatment-dip/bath or leave in treatment-often salt treatment will rid the parasites if they are not resistant.