Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #1 
ZH10

Water Changes

I have read the General Betta care but i find myself outside the normal situations stated. I have a 1.5 gallon tank, i regret to keep a betta in such a small tank but space is limited in dorms, the tank has a heater and filter. Due to the size it is suggested i do larger water changes but i do have a fully functioning filters with filter pad. How often and how large should water changes be? I am currently cycling to prevent having to do large changes.
ZH10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would do twice weekly 50% water changes in a 1.5g filtered tank-with one of the twice weekly water changes include the substrate to get some of the waste out unless you have live plants.

I found it easier to use the stir and dip method with the Betta in the tank with my smaller tanks-I unplug the heater and filter-give the substrate a stir to get the mulm/waste up in the water column and dip half the water out-refill with like temp dechlorinated water and plug the heater and filter back in. The water clears in an hour or two-I monitor the temp for several hours with my non-adjustable heater.
I give the filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off to maintain water flow.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #3 
ZH10

So just to confirm. 50% Water Changes, twice per week. 1 of these changes i clean out the gravel a bit? The water that i will add will be sitting at room temperature, how long do you think i should give my heater to heat that water back up to the tanks normal temp? Can i treat tap water in 1 gallon jugs and store them for a while?
Old 10-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #4 
ZH10

Since i am currently cycling, should i NOT do water changes until that is complete? Is it ok to use frozen blood worms as my cycle ammonia source?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #5 
Adastra

If you don't have a fish in the tank, you can use a piece of cocktail shrimp in a tea bag--it may be a bit less messy than blood worms. In a tank this small, I would probably opt for a sponge filter and extra gravel to give the bacteria more surfaces to cling to. Live plants will also help you immensely--I highly recommend getting some easy live plants, particularly java moss, java fern, and anubias. These are very forgiving plants that flourish in low light.

Do you have a liquid master test kit yet?

Last edited by Adastra; 10-13-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

In a 1.5g filtered tank-the nitrogen cycle is moot due to the number of water changes needed to maintain water quality for fish health and fins, with that said-the tank will cycle with the fish in the tank with the water changes as posted in about 4-8 weeks and this will give you wiggle room for when life happens and you need to miss a water change...but not many...it will crash and you can see health problems and fins issues as the ammonia, nitrates and DOC rise and build up.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #7 
ZH10

I'll be sure to add some extra gravel. What about water changes while i cycle for the next 2 weeks? Can i store water in jugs for a while since they've already been treated?