Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #1 
poonah

ermmmm help?

ok so turns out herb isnt too keen on neons... i had 8... now have 5 in the space of 2 days.... hes also eaten a mountain shrimp! i only got the guy cos he was bigger than herb!

anyway going fish shopping and went online to check compatibility.... got this Compatibility: Tetras, Danios, Angelfish, Livebearers, Rasboras, Loaches, Plecos, and Catfish.

first concern was angelfish....

another site said about rainbow and red tail sharks aswell as swordtails....

someone shed some light please !!!

i have a 100L tank so space isnt really an issue
poonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #2 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by poonah View Post
ok so turns out herb isnt too keen on neons... i had 8... now have 5 in the space of 2 days.... hes also eaten a mountain shrimp! i only got the guy cos he was bigger than herb!

anyway going fish shopping and went online to check compatibility.... got this Compatibility: Tetras, Danios, Angelfish, Livebearers, Rasboras, Loaches, Plecos, and Catfish.

first concern was angelfish....

another site said about rainbow and red tail sharks aswell as swordtails....

someone shed some light please !!!

i have a 100L tank so space isnt really an issue

Angels get pretty Aggressive.. and prefer tall Tanks..

Red tailed and Rainbow sharks are big no-nos, Both are pretty Territorial and aggressive.

Neons,Rasboras are usualy best kept in groups of 10 or more.. they get insecure in small groups and will nip at anything in sight in less than groups of 10..

Loaches, Khuli Loaches are peacefull , Prefer plenty of hiding spaces away from light..

Yo-Yo Loaches never ever put with a betta , as they will tear his tail to shreds and could probably kill him/her

Danios are usualy fine with Bettas ,tho are prone to getting stressed if constantly chased around..

Livebearers are fine with bettas, Bettas will probably eat most fry born in the same tank though But need their space and hiding spots too
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #3 
MadDogAcey

Another factor is, some Betta's just do not get on with ANY fish. Just keep that in mind.
MadDogAcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #4 
poonah

well i know it sounds harsh BUT i cant just keep a Betta in a huge tank so i will end up having to get rid of him which i'd hate to do! he's only a fish but has so much personality.

I went to a LFS today... was shocked and cofused.... the girl behind the till didnt know a thing...

firstly there was a Betta in a tank full of male dwarf gouramis... he was nipping and chasing them constantly flared.... i pointed this out to the young lady and she said she'd alert her manager....

there was also a betta in a tank of zebra danios and a red tail shark...

I got a list of fish that i would love to add to the tank, again the worker didnt have a clue so i'll write them on here :)

-Jewel Cichlids (they were 2 for 4) and look great
-Sajich Cichlids
-Paroon Catfish (these guys looked like small sharks, about 3-4 inches long)
Old 10-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #5 
Adastra

Why not rehome the betta or put him in a separate, small tank (3-5 gallons) all by himself? This betta does not sound like a community fish. Some bettas are not meant for these situations, and you will have to make a big decision on how you are going to deal with it. To me, it sounds like you want your tank to go in a completely different direction. The best thing for the betta would be to rehome it or to give it its own 3-5 gallon tank.

If you're determined to keep your betta in the tank, stay away from cichlids and gouramis. You want peaceful, schooling fish like zebra danios or bottom dwellers like corydora catfish. I do not agree with housing bettas with livebearers--platies and mollies prefer harder water with more salinity and are a semi-aggressive fish that may not get along with a betta.

Have you actually seen the betta attacking the other fish, by the way? Are you sure it's not something else that's killing your neons and shrimp?

Last edited by Adastra; 10-13-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #6 
Lunatatice

Hi, I had almost this same problem with my betta. He just wasn't meant to be in a community tank, because he was mean to other fish except for bottom dwellers. Now I keep him in a 3 g all by himself, and he seems a lot less stressed. I'd recommend putting him in a smaller tank by himself, or just sticking to bottom dwellers. I've had african dwarf frogs with my betta before and it wasn't a problem. I guess corys work with bettas too, but I've never owned any...
Lunatatice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:55 AM   #7 
poonah

ok turns out he didnt eat the shrimp.... lol i feel stupid. he has eaten the 3 neons though. I was thinking maybe today ill buy another 10 neons and a few corys... i'll monitor Herb for an hour and see how he copes.

how large do corys get? the ones in the shop are only about an inch long.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #8 
MadDogAcey

I'm a noob, a total and utter noob of dah fishy. But erm. How many fish do you have in that tank currently?
MadDogAcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #9 
poonah

ok i got the fish.... i have 15 neons, 4 corys, a mountain shrimp and Herb.

so far so good..... he's had a sniff of the corys... left the neons alone.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

Seeing as about 4 liters makes 1 gallon; poohna's got 15 neons 4 cories, a mountain shrimp (what's that?) and their one betta herb in a 25 gallon tank.

According to AqAdvisor poohna's 93% stocked (if they have an aquatech 20-40 filter) so they're not overstocked. =]

I've never heard of a betta eating a neon but then again I'm not big on the compatibility forum. Did Herb really do that? :0
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote