Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2010, 03:12 AM   #1 
Caliban

Question Marimo Moss Balls

So I decided to get three 1.5" moss balls from http://plantedaquariumscentral.com/ for my 10 gallon, filtered tank. It only has fake plants at the moment. Does anyone have these? Any hints or warnings?
Caliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:19 AM   #2 
Waterbottle2

I have one and I can say you chose great!
Marimo moss balls are pretty easy to take care of and help clean up waste
They dont need alot of light the only maintenance you do one them is turn them over once in a while so they dont get brown spots on their bottoms.
I've heard you can also take them out and squeeze the water out and stuff out of em during water changes but dont quote me on that
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #3 
Caliban

Thanks! I may see if the local petsmart has them to save the $15 on shipping. Yikes!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:48 AM   #4 
sunnymui

Yep you can squeeze them out to clean them.

Mine have got some brown spots on them, from where food has landed on it, and my fish has "ummed and ahhed" about whether to eat it or not.

I take mine out every so often for 1-2 days in clean water, and put them in a jar somewhere sunny, as I realised they weren't getting enough light.

When you first put them into your tank, they may float, you can weigh them down with a stone, or just let them sink naturally. My fish loves 'nudging' them and darting off when they're floating!
sunnymui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #5 
Caliban

I'm getting so excited about these things. They sound perfect: low maintenance and entertaining. PetSmart didn't have them (maybe for the best), but the $15 shipping is still killing me. I may try PetCo before I pay it.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #6 
Posaune

Suppose you've gotta think about the actual price too. I think the petco in my area charges $6-8 per ball (I bought a flat thing of moss, ten bucks x.x) but it's still living :P
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #7 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban View Post
I'm getting so excited about these things. They sound perfect: low maintenance and entertaining.
BAHAHA!!!!!!!! XD I LOVE that quote! =P

Yeah marimo moss balls sound awesome! =] My petstore back home didn't have them but I'm hoping one up near my college does! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #8 
Caliban

I dished out the cash at the good plant place (link up top). I also bought a piece of driftwood covered in another, supposedly, low maintenance moss. My water tends to have a high pH and I've heard driftwood can help with that. I'll cross my fingers. Anyone know about the best way to introduce moss like this? Should I worry about it damaging my betta?
Old 10-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #9 
TigerLily

I have one in my tank as well. I looked them up on a few sites before buying them and from what I saw they sounded great.

I do take my marimo out when I do water changes and give it a quick squeeze in some spare tank water before putting it back and rotating it. It appears to be doing pretty well, and Twinkle seems to love it.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #10 
Adastra

It's probably better that you decided to buy from Heather, the ones at the pet store are usually borderline dead due to lack of light. The ones you get from her should be much better quality.

I don't use marimo balls because I dose all my tanks with Seachem Excel. Excel promotes rapid plant growth but suppresses algae--because marimo balls are actually a type of algae rather than moss, I would not use Excel with them.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote