Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #1 
ihave2bettafish

finally done with the set up

i just bought another betta for $3, and a hexagon tank off craigslist for $5, and some prime conditioner, then went to the park get some plants, bought lucky bamboo for $6
i was so scared when i put the fish in at the beginning because it didnt make bubbles for the first day, but then on the second day i start seeing bubbles.
im missing light, i think thats the reason, because the first night i left it there it didnt have light, then in the morning i put a lamp on top of it and leave it there the whole time until i came back at night and i see bubbles, i need to get the light soon!
here are the pictures what you think?

ihave2bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #2 
Adastra

Looks good! How much water is in the tank (in gallons)? It's possible that the reason he is less active and the reason why he perked up under the lamp is that he's cold. Bettas need heaters because they're adapted to live in a tropical climate where it is consistently around 80 degrees. Many bettas are lethargic and become ill at room temperature--cold blooded animals depend on warmth for their metabolisms to function at the right speed, so you should really consider getting him a heater more than anything else.

When you're shopping for a heater, you want to get one that is 25 watts, and make sure it has an adjustable temperature dial on it. Heaters that don't have adjustable temperature dials also don't have thermostats, so the temperature will be a little higher than room temperature, but it will still fluctuate, and may under heat or over heat the water--you don't want to waste your money on something like that, so avoid mini heaters, preset heaters, and heater pads. :)

Here is the adjustable heater I use and prefer: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=11368 these are pretty well-priced, and they have an indicator light so you know they're working.

Also, what is that thing at the bottom of the tank that the bamboo is resting in? :o Looks like a seashell, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by Adastra; 10-11-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #3 
ihave2bettafish

lol its 5 gallon tank, so i put half i assume its 2.5 gallon water. i think he is cold.
no wonder he doesnt come up to the surface when i try to feed him,
omg i hope its not going to die because i do not know if he has been eating my pallets or not since he dont come up to the surface.

omg im so scared, he always hiding under the shell or inside the shell :( my poor thing, i havent got a chance to get the light yet, going to get one today.

btw the shell is abalone shell, thanks for the recommandation
Old 10-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #4 
Alex09

You need a heater not a light I think. The light may help warm it up during the day but at night its gonna get cold. And the light doesnt make a very good heater anyways - you can really control the temp. These temperature fluctuations could eventually kill the fish.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #5 
ihave2bettafish

okay, taken the advice, i just bought a 25watt hydro heater, it turns out great, the fish does nto always hide at the bottom no more and hes swim very fast and make even more bubble, pheewwwwww, i will update with the pix soon

on the other hand, my other 2 fish in small container are crazy, they jump when put my finger near the surface!!!!!!!!, i assume they are doing great, too bad my parents wont let me get a bigger thank for these 2.

Last edited by ihave2bettafish; 10-12-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #6 
dukie1346

Lovely bettas :)
That is a really small tank though :(
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #7 
ihave2bettafish

loving it

updated, i remove the tree, the one with big leaves, because it stinks, now its even more bubble at the surface!!!

Last edited by ihave2bettafish; 10-13-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: new heater
Old 10-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #8 
ihave2bettafish

haahhahaha
Old 10-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #9 
Adastra

You should really get a larger container for your other two bettas. A container that size should have a 100% water change every day. Just like the betta in the five gallon, the other two need heat as well and their tank is much too small to fit a heater in. :( You should consider getting getting some of the large critter keeper style tanks, they're very cheap, you can get heaters for them, and if you get one that's 3 gallons or larger, you can filter and cycle it, so you won't have to change the water nearly as much when the cycle is completed. I'm also worried about how discolored the water is in the 5G--you should be changing the water in it about every 3-4 days.

You could also get one ten gallon aquarium and divide it down the middle so both of your bettas could live in it peacefully. You can easily find a cheap ten gallon kit on craigslist if you look hard enough--with the filter, heater, gravel, and other accessories already included. This would be a great option for you and your fish.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #10 
Alex09

Dont be adding stems of terrestrial plants (bushes and trees) to your tank - thats what it looks like you did in the 5g. It will just rot a start polluting your water from the moment you put it in. I agree with adastara on this one, if funds are an issue, go to a local petco/ petsmart/ walmart and buy a 10 gallon tank and some things you need to make dividers (needlepoint canvas, those folder lsider things etc) I believe there is a thread on that somewhere here. Including the tank, everything will only cost you about $20. You have a heater so thats good - you could use it in the 10 gal and it will benefit all 3 fish.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote