Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #1 
collegedormroomer

HELP PLEASE!!! this might be super urgent

Let me start by saying that I currently have 4 female bettas. I do heat the water to an even 80 degrees and they are all fed betta bio gold.

I got all of them at petco...i know i know...i got two veil tail females at one and two crowntail females at another one.

The two crowntail females are the ones i'm posting about.

So i got all 4 about a week ago and one's dead already.

The green one is dead. I have a picture of what she looks like dead at http://www.flickr.com/photos/54579227@N05/5055800139/
I have no idea why happened to her. She was fine an hour before and an hour later i looked at her and she wasn't swimming or breathing and she was vertical with her head pointed down.

The pink one that i have looks like she's severely bloated. I have no idea why though. i don't know what exactly is wrong but i was hoping that someone could help me out. i have a picture of what she looks like right now at http://www.flickr.com/photos/54579227@N05/5055800119/
she is definitely not as active as the two veiltails but she definitely likes to eat that's for sure.

I was hoping that you all could help me figure this out in case the pink one is in a life threatening situation. I also would like to know if you think any of this is spreadable because we swap they're toys and tanks and stuff and i don't want the other fish to get it.

as was pointed out by tigerlily here is some additional information

Housing
What size is your tank?25 gallon
What temperature is your tank?80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? not currently
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? there were 4 female betta fish now there are 3

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta bio gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 times a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 100% every week and a half
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? usually done is as about 25% every couple of days then 100% at the week and a half mark
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? nutrafin

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? not yet

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? the green fish just up and died without any real warning
the pink one was gotten more and more bloated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? the pink one has always been less active than all the other fish but her activity hasn't decreased
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about a week ago when we got here
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? we fasted her for about 36 hours
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not for the week that we have had them
How old is your fish (approximately)? we've only had them for a week up they are all about an inch not counting the tail

Last edited by collegedormroomer; 10-05-2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: additional information
collegedormroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #2 
TigerLily

First of all, some more information would help.

Filling out these questions will make helping you easier: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Also, are they housed together, or separately?
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

The pink one seems eggy if anything. IDK how that could cause death in the other one though....my guess is dropsy. Please upload a picture from above her tank, it'll help me out in figuring out whats wrong. Does she look like a pine cone from above?
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #4 
collegedormroomer

here is a picture of her from the top (its a really crappy picture because i can't find my camera right now) http://www.flickr.com/photos/54579227@N05/5056468740/
i've researched what dropsy looks like and she doesn't look like a pinecone
Old 10-06-2010, 02:08 AM   #5 
FuulieQ

Might be overfeeding? Fast her a couple days, see if it goes down?

If you see her get smaller, then it's probably constipation. 3x a day seems like a lot to me. I give my fish two small pellets twice a day, and he seems happy and healthy.

Or, she could be eggy. xD I've never kept female bettas. However, fasting for a day or two won't hurt her. :)
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #6 
Adastra

Usually females need some kind of stimuli to get eggy.. like the presence of a male. Are these females being kept together? Did you mean 2-5 gallons, or 25 gallons? I'm confused..

If this girl is cohabitating with other female bettas, isolate her. If not, you should stop feeding her until you see her poop or until the bloating goes down, if she remains bloated even though she passes feces, there is likely some kind of pathogen to blame. You should consider using some epsom salt to help with the bloating, here are some instructions:

Epsom Salt Leave-in Treatment: In a separate container, prepare water of the same temperature, and mix in one tablespoon per five gallons of dissolved Epsom salt. Acclimate the fish to the salted water for at least a half hour. Alternatively, if you used water from the betta’s tank, you can transfer the betta into the water directly and dissolve the salt in another container--slowly adding the dissolved salts to the water over the course of at least a half hour. The duration of this treatment is three to five days--during this time, do water changes as necessary, replacing the dissolved salts as necessary.

When using Epsom salt with other medications, make sure that the medication does not warn against the use of sulfates or sulfa drugs. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate and could interact badly with some medications.***

Last edited by Adastra; 10-06-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #7 
collegedormroomer

just as a side note i'm thinking she might just be eggy from being at petco where they keep the containers of the males and the females next to each other
Old 10-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #8 
collegedormroomer

Update

I got another crowntail to replace the green and red one that passed on. Now the pink one has died and so has the blue one. I have no idea what is going one with these fish but I just would hate to lose anymore of them. Currently I have 2 fish one crowntail and one veiltail and they are currently in separate small containers so just to make sure they don't get eachother sick or something. I'm going to be buying either a divider for the tank or a whole separate one so that each fish can be alone. That is if both fish make it. Just for further reference i was wondering if you guys have any suggestions you could give me because i really hate having to see a fish die.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having so much trouble...lets see if we can't figure this out and help you become successful in keeping this wonderful species of fish.

To re-cap-(correct/change)
25g unfiltered heated tank with 4 female bettas, 2 or 3 now deceased-remaining in QT-fed 3 times a day(how much)-had for a week-noted edema/bloat before death. 100% water change every 10-11 days and 20% every couple of days

Questions-any live plants, any additives used-what kind and how much, any medication or treatment tried, appetite, can you list all symptoms. Symptoms started at what stage of having them?
How did they look act at the fish shop?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #10 
vaygirl

It sounds an awful lot like what I just experienced with two of my bettas. The only symptoms they had were bloated tummies and lethargy. They were dead within roughly 48 hours of getting bloated. I never did find out what happened to them. I scrapped the tank and EVERYTHING in it and started over. My new fish is fine so far. *fingers crossed for you*
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote