Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #1 
BettaLover659

Important Betta Care Information

Okay I am thinking about getting my first Betta Any Tips? I want a halfmoon is this a good starting betta
BettaLover659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Have at least a 2 gallon tank with an appropriate heater. Make sure your heater will heat your tank to at least 78*F.

Buy a variety of foods. Good pellet brands are New Life Spectrum, HBH Betta Bites, or Attinsons. Also have frozen foods so you can provide a varied diet. I suggest having at least 2 different brands of pellets and 2 different frozen foods. Avoid using freeze dried foods since they have almost no nutritional value.

Don't get plastic plants. If you can't get live ones at least get silk.

If your getting a halfmoon I suggest not having a filter but doing 100% water changes instead because HMs don't do well with much of a current. You also are going to need a tank that is longer instead of taller so it is easier for the fish to swim to the top for air.

Make sure to have a good dechlorinator. I highly recommend Prime.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #3 
BettaLover659

Will A 10 gallon work?
BettaLover659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

I don't reccomend Halfmoons, their fins are difficult to maintain, but if you do really want one then go for it :)

Halfmoons aren't good fish for big tanks, so the smaller containers (2 gallons) are perfect.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #5 
Adastra

Take the time to read through this article a few times: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160

It has a lot of basic information, but you will want to do as much research and reading around the forum as you can. The more you know about bettas, the less money you will waste by making poor choices and the less inconveniences you will experience down the road.

My advice to you is to not go cheap on the tank and accessories for your betta. You get what you pay for, and the smaller the container you choose the more maintenance you'll have to do and the less reliable it will be. An ideal setup would be 3 gallons or larger (the bigger the better--as long as the current isn't too strong from the filter, a 10G should be perfect), with a fluorescent light and a power filter or sponge filter. You should look for a 25 watt (50 watts for larger than 5 gallons) adjustable heater to go along with it since non-adjustable heaters, mini heaters, and heater pads will underheat or overheat the water because they don't work on a real thermostat. You will also need to use a dechlorinating product with your tap water--I recommend Seachem Prime because it is more concentrated than similar products, so it will last longer and give you the most product for your money. When picking decorations, feel carefully for rough or sharp edges, and choose fabric plants instead of plastic. You will find that in each of the product categories I'm describing, there are cheaper alternatives, but don't be tempted by them--they are rip-offs.

You should also take the time to research the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle a filter using the fishless method. Doing this before you get your fish will save you a lot of time and energy.

Last edited by Adastra; 10-14-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Yeah that will be fine. You could even divide it and get another male if you wanted.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote