Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #1 
bettablue

betta fish has fin rot what to do?

I've had my betta for 3-4 years and he's always had a problem w/ his fins. every time I change his water his fins start dropping and ripping. right now he's in a 2 gal tank w/ a heater. after changing his water every week I add tap dechlorinator. i've also tried medicines for fin rot but they didn't help that much... they just stopped his fins from falling. what can I do?
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #2 
small fry

You say that everytime you change his water his fins rip and drop? You might want to run toxicity test on your water. My tap water ammonia is at about 3ppm, so I have to use bottled water for my fish. My betta Tony has had a minor case of finrot for almost two mounths. I just can't get rid of it. I use BettaFix Remedy and that helps his fins significantly. Hope this helps!

===============-
10gal GatorSwamp
10gal CichlidRock
1.5gal Buried Treasure
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #3 
bettablue

yea the thing is that i have tried a lot of things, I've tried tap water, bottled water and still nothing worked just the same affect, but i have noticed it got worse when i moved to a different state... so for the water changes what do i do.. i don't want to change the water because then he'll get sick again but i have to or else he'll die... how frequently do i have to clean his tank?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #4 
small fry

Is your tank filtered? That help determine how ofter you would need to do a water change. Also, is your tank graveled? Fish waste can build up fast in gravel without you even relizing it. Post back and I'll try to help you furthermore.

===============-
10gal GatorSwamp
10gal CichlidRock
1.5gal Buried Treasure
Old 10-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #5 
bettablue

i have no filter but im going to buy asap, one w/ low flow right? yea I have some gravel at the bottom, am i suppose to take out the gravel or something?
Old 10-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #6 
small fry

I think a filter would be a great idea. The Tetra Whisper 1-3 gallon filter is good for small tanks (I use it for my betta and hospital tank). As for the gravel, it is difficult to keep that clean in such a small tank. I'd suggest taking it out and rinsing it though a strainer of some kind. Also, with a small, unfiltered tank, water changes are very important. I'd suggest a 50% water change 2 to 3 times a week until you get a filter. Hope this helps!

===============-
10gal GatorSwamp
10gal CichlidRock
1.5gal Buried Treasure
Old 10-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #7 
bettablue

so should i take the gravel out? im getting a filter tom and when i do how many times do I have to clean the water?
Old 10-15-2010, 05:13 AM   #8 
small fry

Well, you don't have to take the gravel out. It just needs to be rinsed and dried every few weeks. As for water changes, in a filtered, 2 gallon tank I would do a 25% water change every week or so. You might consider doing test on the water the first couple weeks you start, just to make sure things are running smoothly. If your ammonia dosen't go down (if it was up before) you might switch to 25% 3 times every 2 weeks.

Well, I know water changes are stressful for the fish, how do you preform water changes? Do you you a net or a cup? Do you remove him from the tank or leave him in? Has the water you put in been setting in the room so it can reach room tempreture? Do you premedicate the water with anything? Do your betta's colors fade after a water change? All of these are important to consider.

With small water changes, there is no need to remove your betta from the tank. Water tempreture can be a big issue. It is good to let the water sit in a container in the same room for 5-24 (depending on how cold the water was), unless the room is cold and your heater is running in your betta's tank. If the room is really cold, the water won't be the same tempreture and that could cause some stress, depending on the diffrance in tempreture change. Also, does your de-chlorinater get rid of heavy medals. I only use de-chlorinater that says so somewhere on the bottle (just in case). I also recommend you use some aquarium salts. I use them, along with a water change, whenever Tony, my betta, gets stressed out. If you use aquarium salts it is important to know that they are not absorbed in the filter and they are not evaporated, so never treat the same water twice. I would just put 2 gallons worth of salt in the tank and then only salt the water your adding for water changes.

And is your betta on any meds that you use when your doing a water change? It might be a good idea to check the expiration date on the de-chlorinater you are using.

Well, hope this helps! Write back if you have any questions!

===============-
10gal GatorSwamp
10gal CichlidRock
1.5gal BuriedTreasure
Old 10-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #9 
bettablue

alright, lots of questions! lols I just bought an ammonia tester and t said i have no ammonia and I just changed the tank 3-4 days ago. I use a cup to take my betta out and only if im doing a 100% water change. I used to keep a big jug of treated water for my betta water change but it didn't really make a difference but now I use bottled water that has been sitting around the house so i think that's not the problem. today i just bought an anti bacterial medicine for fin rot and it says to do a 25% water change every other day for about a week. besides that i have been addng aquarium salt and i used tetra dechlorinator but i bought some prime today. so i will see how he's doing w/ all this new treatment an I did buy a whisper tetra filter but it's to tall so i need a different one, do u have a recommened brand for a 2 gal?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #10 
Adastra

What you're describing doesn't sound like fin rot. Some bettas will actually bite themselves when they're in high-stress situations, such as right after a water change. If the tail looks tattered and ragged, like pieces have been torn out of it, the betta is biting himself. If the edge of the fin is fairly even, and has dark black discoloration on the ends and a fuzzy texture, then it is infected with rot. You should take more time to acclimate your betta after a water change and give him darkness, peace, and quiet to help him de-stress afterward.

Do not treat him with medication. If you've already begun treatment with an antibiotic, you have to finish it, but once the minimum time has passed, stop treatment. All your fish needs is clean water to recover and a minimum stress environment. Unfortunately, bettas are so overbred by the pet industry that many of them have neurotic behaviors, like tail biting, and it can be extremely difficult to get them to stop. Luckily you know that his trigger is changes in water parameters, so you can just be extra careful during water changes and see if that helps.

If you want to filter a small tank like a two gallon, pick a sponge filter. It is a very simple type of filter that works with an air pump--it's ideal for bettas because by controlling the air pump, you can make the flow extremely gentle, much more gentle than other types of filter. However, since your tank is so small, I would skip it, and use the 100% change method to maintain a tank of this size. You would need to change it about every 3-4 days.

The reason for filtering a tank is so that it can undergo a process called the nitrogen cycle--in which the toxic waste your fish produces is converted into less harmful nitrate by beneficial bacteria. This is a very useful technique for maintaining larger tanks, but it can be unstable in tanks under 3 gallons. You may get it to work with extra gravel and lots of live plants.. but it still runs the risk of being unstable. You should still take the time to research the nitrogen cycle and consider it.

Last edited by Adastra; 10-15-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote