Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2010, 12:06 AM   #31 
Bloodeath

mehh...idk, i still don't think it's right. you cant stand here and tell me you have more than 1 male in the same tank and they dont constantly fight, video or it doesnt exist. i dont mean to sound rude, but the first picture really irk's me, because ive had 2 males in the same tank with a divider, and seen what happens when one decides to get to the other side, and how right after they do that little dance they start attacking the crap out of each other....

i'd just like to see a video of it, because it still seems unhumane unless i can really see that they are coexisting peacefully.

Don't get me wrong i see how they can set up their own individual territories, but not to the point where they can really...just live with each other in a tank, fights have to breaking out all the time in my eyes.
Bloodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #32 
Capricorn

Personally, I don't believe t3 would be parading their tank around here if the fish were being harmed. From the photos I see nothing that says the males have been fighting.. the tails aren't shredded or torn.

Though, I would love to see a video just to see it, I don't need proof.. the photos are enough for me.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #33 
t3l01v

To be honest, I expected a lot more trolling than what's been going on here thusfar, so I'll count myself lucky.

I've got a webcam built into my laptop, though I don't know if the resolution is high enough to be useful. I'll look into it.

I think though that the message I'm trying to communicate is this:

Don't believe what other people tell you just because they insist they're right. Don't believe what's written in the books because those are only general truths. Experiment and learn. Be diligent.

The first three Bettas I spent hours deciding on, putting their cups to others to see who would take interest, who would flare, and who would absolutely ignore each other.

The next two I added, I just figured the tank was large enough and I didn't have to spend as much time trying to judge the disposition of the fish. That was a mistake. One of the two (who didn't seem aggressive in the store) was very aggressive. Once I saw him chasing and harassing two of the other males, I pulled him out and took him back. I picked a delta in his place, and after spending an hour with him in the store, I felt good about putting him in the tank. There haven't been any problems since.
t3l01v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #34 
t3l01v

I just noticed that the cat talking about treating fish inhumanely is named "Bloodeath"

Sorry, sorry! No personal shots. Just thought it was good for a chuckle.
t3l01v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #35 
Bloodeath

hey its not like even if i were to gripe and gripe about it, what i say here has ultimately no effect on you changing your mind in your attempts to house male bettas together. but all im saying is when one of your fish kills another, A i told you so is in order, but until then im gone from this thread.
Bloodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #36 
JKfish

Blooddeath: I doubt his fish will kill each other. with such a large tank, the fish are able to stake out territories, though it is definately a big risk doing that. Yes, there is a chance, but he did say he took the time to make sure the fish he bought were comfortable being together and not agressive. I definately wouldn't recommend trying unless you have a thought and a solution incase something happens and are willing to keep a good eye on them, but he seems to have it under control. :P While I think going against a betta's nature isn't good, it seems to be alright at the moment. Besides, you're acting a bit too callous, you could say what you want to say in a nicer way...

Lol, I agree with capricorn, a video would be awesome, though I don't need proof the fish are getting along fine.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #37 
MrVampire181

You guys want to know why bettas fight? They're control freaks. Seriously set up a sorrority and watch what happens. They fight for control. In this tank there's enough room for all to peacefully live, several territories help. But eventually there's gonna be a bigger, meaner, tougher, male who will take complete control of the tank, should he die or be removed they'll fight. The negative....some torn fins and then the females will begin to fight each other as well.....why?? Because they will begin to establish their right to mate with the dominant male in their community...and then you'll end up with fry (possibly...the power heads might prevent succesful spawning).

BTW that first picture is amazing!! It shows beauty and grace as well as destruction.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #38 
metalbetta

MrVampire I totally agree. Watch my sorority for like 10 minutes and you'll see just that.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #39 
BettaGirl290

hmmm, i found out that if you have 10 females and 1 male spawning, you would get 1,000 fry. (i know it is random but i was just thinking random.) :)
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:23 AM   #40 
MrVampire181

That's not a guarentee. Each female could produce up to 1,000 eggs so you might end up with 10,000 fry....ok people keep your betta addiction under control :P
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote