Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #1 
Arowan

Plants for my 5gal?

Just ordered the 5gallon hawkeye from walmart--the new heater for it already got here, lol. (By the way, price of the Hawkeye went up by $3.00)

Anyway, been working with the wonderful woman behind http://plantedaquariumscentral.com, but wanted to get some more opinions on my plant choices.

Be warned, I'm a total plant newbie!
Anyway, she recommended I get:
-a couple anubias, she said the nana petite and the var. nana narrow leaf would be best.
-couple dwarf lilies (they're so pretty!)
-couple java ferns (I like the lace ones)

I'm likely going to order some christmas moss, too.

But, all of these plants are slow growers--good, so I don't have to trim so much, but bad if they don't eat much fish waste...
Is there any recommendations on a fast growing plant (that doesn't shed) that'd fit in the Hawkeye, one that is easy to care for? And is my current selection of plants the right amount for the tank size?

Been doing a ton of research for the last month--my betta's currently in a 2.5gal critter carrier (heated), and I cannot wait to see what he'll think of his new tank once it's finished. I'm hoping to put in a couple ghost shrimp as well, since he's a pretty passive fishy. I've heard people can keep cories in a tank this size, but aren't 5gals too small for them? I'd love to grab a couple of those instead of shrimp, if it was possible...

Anyway, long post! Any and all advice is appreciated :)
Arowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:48 PM   #2 
Alex09

Generally speaking, cories (you need at least 3 or 4) and a betta would be overstocking a 5 gal tank so I wouldnt reccomend it :/

Fast growing plants:
-Hygrophila. I bought mine in a tube from petco. It was tiny! now its huge! The leaves are a beautiful shade of green. I also love how it "blooms" at night the top leaves close, and during the day they open up - it really is quite nice. heres a pic of mine a few weeks ago. Its a few inches taller now, has more levaes and the lower leaves are getting big.

Another good plant I have heard about is wisteria. I have that too but Its still new and hast grown much. It can be left floating too, your betta will love it. This is what it looks like:

Hornwort is supposed to grow like a weed and its beautiful. Though I hear it sheds needles like crazy. Im probably still gonna try it tho :P

To trim these plants you simply pull it from the substrate, cut the bottom part off and replant the tops. Its easier for the plant to grow roots than have to grow a whole new head of leaves. And that way you always get the "new" leaves :P

Last edited by Alex09; 10-14-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:18 AM   #3 
emeltee

I'm just about to buy some plants for my 5 gal hawkeye. I keep going back and forth and am too afraid to finally make the plunge.

The plants that I'm also considering (in addition to the ones you listed) are pennywort or water sprite.
emeltee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:21 AM   #4 
scootshoot

Cory's do best in schools so I wouldn't get them alongside your betta in a 5. That said, couple ghost shrimp plus your betta is fine. Just make sure the shrimp have plenty hiding places.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #5 
Arowan

Yeah, I figured as much on the cories :) Just wanted to ask anyway, though!

I rather like the wisteria and the hygrophila, both seem pretty cute.
Apparently the hygro can turn pink with the right lighting... :o

I'll probably just add a wisteria to my order, and take out one of the java ferns... (or throw in a hygro, too, the regular ferns are kinda... blah)

Oh well, still have a couple weeks for my tank and my substrate to get here :) so, plenty of time to make my mind up.

Last edited by Arowan; 10-15-2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: wrong plant name xD
Arowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #6 
Alex09

Oh wow! I was worried that the top leaves of my hygro were turning a pinkish color! I just upgraded my bulb from 15w to 26w last week. I guess that's why :P
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote