Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #1 
Capricorn

Apple snails?

I'm posting this in the lounge because I'm not putting snails in with my bettas, I sort of want to try keeping them on their own. I've searched diligently through a couple websites and forums, but I can't find the basic answer to this question.. do snails -require- a cycled tank, or can you keep them in an uncycled aquarium that you change completely each time? Do they need a filter if you keep up with changes?

I've read that they actually do better in temperatures of 65-70* instead of 80*, and my house stays at least 70* all year round.. so I could probably even skip a heater for them if they were in their own tank, right?

Trying to do research before I decide to bring them home. xD;
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #2 
JKfish

You shouldn't need to cycle, but because they are so messy and produce so much ammonia, you might want to. And no, filter's aren't exactly necessary.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #3 
Capricorn

Thanks! O:

Also, do they need to be kept in pairs, or no?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #4 
JKfish

no. If you want to, you can, but you'll probably end up with a bunch of babies. Oh, if you need a good read on apple snails and their care, read this :) http://www.applesnail.net/
Old 10-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #5 
Capricorn

Thanks JK!
Old 10-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #6 
Moldau

That sounds like fun, we kept an apple snail by herself in a tank. She did get really big, definitely showing where the "apple" part of the name came from. For a while, we kept her in one of those Wal-Mart storage tubs with no filter, and she was fine. So it's probably okay to go uncycled if you're willing to do plenty of water changes, but as was said earlier, cycled would probably be best.

The kind we had was a voracious plant eater as the websites say. We didn't know that at first, so we put some plants in with her. If we hadn't taken them out of there immediately, she would have eaten them all in no time. It was always fun feeding her, because you could actually hear the sound of her teeth ripping the lettuce. Kind of weird and cool at the same time.
Moldau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #7 
Capricorn

Thanks for the advice! (:

I originally was just going to have a 3gal critter keeper, but I was actually given a 10gal with a hood and working light.. gonna pick up a filter and get that thing cycling. (:

I can't wait to feed them, haha. xD I'm just going to get two, I think.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

:D Wow! Congrats on the new tank! And good luck with your snail, cycling, and your new tank! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #9 
JKfish

when you get your snail, if your water is acidic/soft (ph), you'll need to find a way to naturally raise the ph to at least 7.0 so it doesn't errode his or her shell away.

And I know this is random, but here are some recipes on how to make food for your snails that has pretty much everything in there for a good balanced diet along with the other food your give him or her. :)
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...d.php?t=135871
Old 10-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #10 
zelilaa

THATS AWESOME! i want a snail now :D But my parents dont want be to have a second tank right now. Plus, I'm saving for the 20 gal long im going to buy next october.
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote