Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #1 
Drift

Angry Still have Popeye

Ugh. Apollo, my male HM, still has popeye. I tried some epsom salt and then I tried Maracyn 2.
The only thing I can think of is I might have underdosed him as I had to open it up and cut it into 1/4's so it would be for 2.5g tank. I also did 100% water changes daily.
Should I try another course of the maracyn 2 but without the water changes? What's the best way to dose him for his tank?

2.5g uncycled, heated at 80 F, two 100% daily water changes a week. ( Though i've been doing them every other day right now.)

And I finally figured out her started to be a tail biter. *sighs*
I really want to get him out of that little tank and into the split 10 gallon but I want to get this problem tackled first. Ugh!
Anyways, to all my Betta experts, some advice please. :)
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #2 
Colibri

Hi.

I'm so sorry your little one is still dealing what his eye problem. Sometimes, pop-eye can be only the tip of the iceberg and just a symptom of some situation that might be going on inside the fish, some internal infection or contamination in the intestine. Has he any other symptoms? Has his mood changed in any way? Is he eating alright? Is he active?
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #3 
Drift

He started tail biting and thats the only thing that changed. I added some plants and a hide hole and it slowed down for a while, but he's back at it.
Still eating well, no color change, not attitude change, and he's just as active as always.
As to why I am puzzled. XD
Old 10-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

I suggest you put him in a small container (like a cup or jar) and float him in a heated tank, do twice daily 100% water changes. Also antibiotics should help.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #5 
Drift

Let me fix that once sentence. Two 100% water changes a week.*** (God it's so late right now. XD)
Anyways.
Why would I put him in a smaller container if his tank is already heated at a steady temperature with a 25 watt adjustable heater and getting 100% daily changes? He's ripping his tail apart in the 2.5 gallon. Nevermind a small cup. Also how would I measure out the proper antibiotic dose for a small cup? =/ I'm already concerned about over/under dosing a 2.5 gallon. Most medications are measured for 10 gallon tanks. I've also already tried the recommended Maracyn 2 and the Epsom salt treatment as recommended as well.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #6 
MrVampire181

Well then just do daily massive water changes. Or moving him to a temporary jar/tank and clean his tank and disenfect everything.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #7 
Drift

I'm doing 100% daily water changes. XD Can't get much more massive than that. I rinse everything out with burning hot water before filling it up too.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #8 
MrVampire181

Hmmm, I have no clue. Have you tried a more powerful Antibiotic? I prefer Ampicillin because it works on both Gram+ and Gram- bacteria.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #9 
Drift

I have not tried any antibiotic other than the Maracyn 2. Was looking for whatever anyone else has had success with so far with Popeye. :)
Old 10-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic? is it both eyes or just one-if both eye-does one eye look bigger than the other?

How much Epsom salt did you use and for how long?

Sometimes popeye can be from-injury, poor water quality, supersaturation (gas bubble) or a tumor.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote