Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Do you go fishing?? And do you think fish can feel pain??
No I do not fish and Do think fish can feel pain 9 56.25%
No I do not fish and Do not think fish can feel pain 0 0%
Yes I fish and Do think fish can feel pain 4 25.00%
Yes I fish and Do not think fish can feel pain 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #1 
ashleyy

Fishing

This may seem like an odd question, but do any of you go fishing??

Before I got my betta I haven't went fishing in quite a long time, and really never thought whether or not fish could feel pain or not. Now since I got him I wonder how many betta owners go fishing for fun, and do you think that they can feel pain?
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #2 
Feral

I personally believe fish feel pain, how could they not? They have nerve ends, feel touch, warmth, cold, have discomfort when they're ill, and surely do feel alarmed when they sense threat and become alarmed when they can't swim freely. Just net a fish for a moment and tell me if it's not in mental pain if not in physical pain. Doesn't that count too?
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

As per the scientific study by Dr James D Rose, university of Wyoming "fish cannot feel pain due to- they lack the appropriate Neocortex of the brain"
Fish perception of pain is different than in mammals-
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

I do believe fish feel a certain level of pain but as OFL said it is much different from our (being mammals) sense of pain. You have to remember that fish are not as highly evolved as mammals so their sense of touch, pain, color, etc so on and so forth is going to be vastly different than our own.

I do fish (on occasion) both for recreation and occasionally to keep. I see nothing wrong with being in the fish keeping hobby and also fishing recreationally.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #5 
ashleyy

I read a few articles last night when I brought this up with my boyfriend. The articles I read said that fish feel stimuli, but do not mentally perceive it as pain. They just react because they are feeling a stimuli.
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #6 
Jupiter

I do believe that fish can sense things...not sure exactly if they will feel pain like we do, if it's something different, or something more primitive...

Anyway, I tried fishing once with a few of my cousins and my great aunt's cottage once. It was actually pretty fun! I didn't catch anything, my fish ended up escaping. My cousins caught 3 fish though, they cleaned them and ate them for dinner. But it's probably not something I'd end up doing regularly, I felt kind of bad that the fish I caught may end up getting an infection...
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #7 
zelilaa

fish do feel pain; but not as we do. they dont think it hurts, just that they feel it and dont like it/ know its not how they should be feeling.
to me, thats pain because any uncomfortable or unpleasurable feeling is a form of pain. I do not fish; i cant bear the sight of them flapping around about to die; hopeless and sad :'(
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 AM   #8 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
I personally believe fish feel pain, how could they not? They have nerve ends, feel touch, warmth, cold, have discomfort when they're ill, and surely do feel alarmed when they sense threat and become alarmed when they can't swim freely. Just net a fish for a moment and tell me if it's not in mental pain if not in physical pain. Doesn't that count too?
I couldn't have stated my thoughts any better myself.

I could never go hunting either. I would break down. =[
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #9 
Bettacaleb

fish have to small of brains they cant really feel pain (not saying id let a fish sit there only half dead)
Bettacaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #10 
nochoramet

I have gone fishing, but to me it's boring. I much prefer feeding them and watching them swarm around us :D But personally, I don't mind fishing as far as catching and eating them. I just don't like fish to eat, they taste bad DX
I've never gone hunting either but I am this winter! I'm so excited! Hopefully I don't sound bloodthirsty but it's south Alabama. Deer are a huge problem on the roads, and I think hunting is beneficial to keep the population down. I'm ready to get me a big buck
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote