Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #1 
Bichir

Female Bettas Establishing Dominance - Small tank, in need of advice.

I've had a female Veiltail Betta, Peaches for about four months now. She lives in a 1 gallon tank on my dresser. Last night I had my 16th birthday party and one of my friends brought me another female Vieltail. My mum was furious and told me I couldn't fill up one of my other tanks and that if one killed the other, too bad. I have two pieces of rock that I have leaned against the glass to create seperate caves and there is one fake plant in the tank. There is an undergravel filter and pea gravel (from Wal-Mart) as the substrate.

I have had Blondie (the new Betta) sitting in her cup next to the tank all night and I just introduced them about twenty minutes ago and I went out to eat lunch. Peaches, the original Betta has a small tear in her tail, but seems to be submissive to the slightly larger Blondie. Blondie, however, continues to find her and pick on her. Is this just the establishment of dominance? Whenever Blondie brushes Peaches, Peaches twitches and spazzes out. I just want to know if this is normal. For the most part, they seem to be doing alright, but I just wanted to voice my concerns for tomorrow is my 16th birthday and of all days, I wouldn't like to wake up to a dead fish.

-Charlie
Bichir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #2 
CodeRed

They will kill each other. 1 gallon is ABSOLUTELY too small for any more than one betta, and even then it's suggested that you should have AT LEAST 2.5 gallon. Take one out ASAP. I kid you not, you will eventually wake up with a mauled and dying, if not dead, betta. Find something in your house, a vase, bowl, tupper ware, ANYTHING, and get one OUT OF THERE.
If you want a sorority (where there's more than one female) you should have a 4 females in a 10 gallon tank, at least.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #3 
Bichir

My mum absolutely refuses to let me. What If I moved one into my Goldfish tank? My largest Goldfish, Disco is 4.5 inches. It's a 33 gallon hex front.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #4 
CodeRed

Too cold. Bettas are tropical fish, and need temperature of around 78-80ish. If you must, give her back to your friend, and explain your problem. I'm sure they'd understand. For the meantime, remove the new female and put her back into the bowl she (probably) came from. She's probably been in there before, and it won't kill her to be in there for a bit longer.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #5 
JKfish

not a good idea, Betta's need tropical temps, and I dunno how big your goldfish is, but either way, not good. If you can't even put her in a tubberware, I suggest you return her. As much as it sucks to say so, it's better for her to live in a dirty cup rather than be stressed and torn up and killed by your other one or for her to kill the other girl.

Edit: CodeRed's smarter than I am. Just put her back in her cup for the time being and keep it clean with at least once daily 100% water changes
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #6 
BlueHaven

I agree. Even if you have to keep the betta in it's origional cup for 1 more day, it will be better. Since you have a birthday, you could probably talk your mom into letting you get another tank, maybe she just needs time to not be upset anymore? idk
It doesn't have to be super expensive, you could just get one of those sterilite see through 3 gallon's at Dollar general (I have one, it's great!) for 4-5 dollars and a heater with a few plants/rocks and they'd be happy with frequent water changes. I like using filters or use live plants with tanks that have no filter, but it works for other people, so with water changes they should be okay. :)
Hope things work out!
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #7 
CodeRed

Aw, I'm not smarter :P You said it in a less confusing way!
And you got what I missed!

Yes, definitely do 100% changes on the bowl everyday until you find her a new place to stay.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #8 
Bichir

My goldfish tank stays around 78-79 degrees farenheit. I can't give her back and she needs to be in a tank. If it's better than her killing my other Betta, I'm going to put her in the Goldfish tank. My goldfish won't eat her, she's too large and they're too small. I'm accumulating Blondie to the Goldfish tank as we speak and Peaches is already happy to have her unwanted tankmate gone. I'm "not allowed to have any other water containment in my room". I have about 7 other 1 gallon bowls and even a 1.5 gallon hex. I'm not allowed to use any of them, though.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #9 
JKfish

Moms can take time to convince, but maybe if you present your case politely, maybe she'll let you.

O_o do you have a heater in that goldfish tank? Technically they shouldn't be in such warm waters, but sometime's it's unavoidable depending on where you live

CodeRed: Lol. fine then, we're both equally smart, and together, we can correctly string together one piece of advise XD.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #10 
Bichir

I do have a heater in the tank and it is on it's lowest setting. They thrive, though, so I don't worry too much. My mum will NOT let me rehome the fish or set up another tank. It's either going in the 1 gallon with Peaches or the 33 with the Goldies. Poor Peaches is shaking. Will she be alright?