Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2010, 05:15 AM   #1 
thefishboy

Bettas

Hello had no idea if ive posted this in the right place!!
So heres my questions, I was thinking of getting a betta, but i dont want a huge tank neither do i want a small tank. What kind of care do they need?? I know qute a bit but i wont to be sure before i think of getting one. And they need heaters and filtration?!
I was wondering wether to get a single betta or a dividetank. If it was divided what size tank would i need?? And can you have a divided tank with one male betta and on the other side a few females??
And what other fish could u keep with a betta??
Sorry for all the questions.
thefishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #2 
Bichir

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishboy View Post
Hello had no idea if ive posted this in the right place!!
So heres my questions, I was thinking of getting a betta, but i dont want a huge tank neither do i want a small tank. What kind of care do they need?? I know qute a bit but i wont to be sure before i think of getting one. And they need heaters and filtration?!
I was wondering wether to get a single betta or a dividetank. If it was divided what size tank would i need?? And can you have a divided tank with one male betta and on the other side a few females??
And what other fish could u keep with a betta??
Sorry for all the questions.
Questions are wonderful things when doing proper research on fish, never apologize.
If you were to use a divided tank, you'd probably end up with a ten gallon with one male on each side or a male on one side and a female on the other. If you purchased a ten gallon, however, looking for females, you could put four females in the tank as long as you have places for them to hide. Yes, you will need filtration, but make sure the filter intake can not damage the fins of your fish. You could go without filtration and use live plants, but this route is a little more difficult imho. You will need a filter as well ensuring the water stays at a contstant of around 80 degrees farenheit.

I hope that helped.(:
-Charlie
Bichir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #3 
Jupiter

Bettas need at least 2.5 gallons...but the bigger the better, really! Be sure to provide him/her with a hiding spot and some plants so they feel secure, especially in larger tanks! Silk and live plants are ideal. You can get plastic as long as it isn't sharp enough to tear a betta's fins. they're very delicate, so you'll have to be careful about decor.

Heaters are a must. Bettas are tropical fish, so they need a temperature of at least 76 degrees, with 78-80 being the most optimal.

Filters aren't necessary, but cycling your tank will be a big help. If you don't get a filter, you just need to be prepared to do 100% water changes. How often depends on what size tank. (A 2 gallon non-filtered tank will need to be cleaned out more often than a 10 gallon tank, for example).

If you do choose a filter, be sure to pick one where the flow isn't very powerful. Well, you could always build a baffle if it is...

Whether you want a single betta or more than one depends on you. The smallest tank you can split imo is 5 gallons, so each betta has 2.5 gallons.

Currently, I have a 10 gallon split into 3, so each betta has something like 3.3 gallons.

If you want to split a tank between a male and a sorority on one side, get something that allows the female sorority to have at least 10 gallons. So, a 12 gallon + tank. Females can be kept together in groups of four or more. They do better in odd-numbered groups. Be sure to include a lot of plants and hiding spots for them!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote