Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #1 
1fish2fish

Brainstorming... possible new breeders

I'm putting this in Breeding instead of Chat to try to avoid all the "get him.. he's so pretty!" comments and try to get some real opinions.

I'm looking to get 1-4 new fish, either gender. I'm not really focusing on one specific color but rather just play around with different colors and see which ones I like best.

Here are some fish I've been looking at with pros and cons listed. Tell me what you think of each and which one (or ones) you think are the best. Remember I'm looking for breeding stock so take into account form and finnage as well as color.

#1 Black/Yellow butterfly from Aquatech_NY.. $25 but already has a bid in on him.

Pros.. love the color and he has decent fins.
Cons.. pricey and could turn into a bidding war. I really don't want to pay much more than $25 for him, especially since he doesn't come with a female.

#2 Yellow (MG) pair from Betta_Affinity price $30
Male..

Female..

Pros.. decent price and a good seller. Colors are something I would like to work with. Female looks nice.
Cons... separate auctions so if I don't win both I don't get the pair, male's fins are only so/so (I need to ask for clearer pictures).

#3 &#4 Females from the same seller.
#3 Light copper..

#4 Blue female..

Pros.. same seller so I could buy both and save on shipping. Both have decent fins and color.
Cons.. I don't really have a male that would be a good match for #3, #4 has a reserve so she's more than $15.

There are some Giants also being offered but they go out pretty soon. If they are re-posted I might add them to the list also. I'd like to work with Giants if I can get a pair at a decent price.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #2 
weluvbettas

I really like they first one , his colouring is great but since he does not come with a sibling female and his price is $25 i think you should leave him.

I also like the second pair , you need a clearer pic though . But it looks like they would make awesome fry!
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #3 
beat2020

The second pair is nice. I really like that female, but like you said the male is so/so.Plus he looks like a delta and the females looks like she has rounded corners, so that won't get you much HM's.

I think you should contact Betta_affinity and ask her is she has any other yellow/MG males suitable for her, because that female is really nice.

Edit:The #3 and #4 females are really nice too. If you could find a nice male for either one I think they would be good stock. There's a seller on Aquabid that has some nice male coppers posted. I could post a link if you want. :)

Last edited by beat2020; 10-17-2010 at 11:24 AM.
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Male #1:
Pros: Unique color variation. Dorsal leaning forward (I think). Neat caudal. Anal slightly long (easy to fix). Wide ventrals.
Cons: Body form could be better. Fins too thin (a bit floppy).
Conclusion: Nice for breeding.

Male #2: Not clear. But looks like he has long anal. Long thin ventral. Untidy caudal.
Conclusion: #1 is far better.

Female #1:
Pros: Perfect body. Balanced fins.
Cons: Dorsal a bit too short and leaning back. Caudal round tail. Ventral split (I think). General fin .... gear like/not smooth (but this is OK actually)

Female #2:
Pros: Nice body. Balanced fins. Nice ventral
Cons: Dorsal too short (do not meet caudal) and leaning back. Caudal rounded. Fins in general; untidy

Female #3:
Pros: very long fins. Average ventral.
Cons: Bad body form. Dorsal leaning back. Long anal.
Conclusion: #1 is far better than the others (for breeding).

Sorry if I miss judged something. This is only my opinion.
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I'm putting this in Breeding instead of Chat to try to avoid all the "get him.. he's so pretty!" comments and try to get some real opinions.

I'm looking to get 1-4 new fish, either gender. I'm not really focusing on one specific color but rather just play around with different colors and see which ones I like best.

Here are some fish I've been looking at with pros and cons listed. Tell me what you think of each and which one (or ones) you think are the best. Remember I'm looking for breeding stock so take into account form and finnage as well as color.

#1 Black/Yellow butterfly from Aquatech_NY.. $25 but already has a bid in on him.

Pros.. love the color and he has decent fins.
Cons.. pricey and could turn into a bidding war. I really don't want to pay much more than $25 for him, especially since he doesn't come with a female.

Ok finnage but I don't like the dorsal. I wouldn't get him because of the price and has no spawn sister.

#2 Yellow (MG) pair from Betta_Affinity price $30
Male..

Female..

Pros.. decent price and a good seller. Colors are something I would like to work with. Female looks nice.
Cons... separate auctions so if I don't win both I don't get the pair, male's fins are only so/so (I need to ask for clearer pictures).

Not the best finnage, the female only has 2 rays...try to go for 4 or more in the branching.

#3 &#4 Females from the same seller.
#3 Light copper..

Ok finnage on the first but on plits into 2 rays. I like the 2nd one better.
#4 Blue female..

I like the finnage on this girl.

Pros.. same seller so I could buy both and save on shipping. Both have decent fins and color.
Cons.. I don't really have a male that would be a good match for #3, #4 has a reserve so she's more than $15.

There are some Giants also being offered but they go out pretty soon. If they are re-posted I might add them to the list also. I'd like to work with Giants if I can get a pair at a decent price.
My replies are in the bold.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

They're all so pretty! Good luck making your decision.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #7 
Adastra

Very interesting, is there a better picture of male #2? The seller may have chosen that angle to hide a poor topline. The female also doesn't seem to have much branching to speak of at all.. you probably will not get much halfmoon finnage out of them. The other two ladies are nice, but I'm not sure what you plan for them in your breeding program--the blue girl has a good deal of branching so you might want to use a more moderately finned male if you choose her.

In conclusion, you're going to invest in a pair, I'd rather see you put a little more money into quality than get disappointing babies. I'd go with male #1 rather than the second pair.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Very interesting, is there a better picture of male #2? The seller may have chosen that angle to hide a poor topline. The female also doesn't seem to have much branching to speak of at all.. you probably will not get much halfmoon finnage out of them. The other two ladies are nice, but I'm not sure what you plan for them in your breeding program--the blue girl has a good deal of branching so you might want to use a more moderately finned male if you choose her.
Agreed.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this... stupid computer is still broken.

I did a lot of thinking and I decided the most responsible thing to do is to wait. I'm super busy right now and I've had a lot of unexplained losses in the past two months and it would be irresponsible to add more fish right now. Also, my hours are being cut at work so I won't have the extra cash to spend on fish that I have had in the past few months.

I'm going to focus on my current fry for now and not do any more spawns. When the Caspers are about jarring age (so in another month or so) I'll do another spawn with the current fish I have. Eventually I do want to get another MG or Multicolor pair so I can mix and match the pairs but that can wait until spring. I also want to branch out and try other colors (hence the copper).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote