Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #1 
CrazyBirdLady

I'm a newbie!

Hey everyone! :)

I'm new here, I'm just doing some preliminary research and came across this wondeful forum that looks pretty active so I thought I'd join! :D I'm not new to forums, I belong to other forums, mostly bird related ones, lol, so I know how nice it is to find a friendly, active forum!

A bit about myself.. I'm a student and an avid bird lover. We have a Quaker Parrot and a Budgie (the budgie was actually a product of our breeding wayyyyy back in the day and he's the last one, he's about 9 years old). We've always had Betta fish when I was growing up so I'm not completely new to them.. we currently have two males, one we've had for at least 4 years and the other is about 2. The old guy is starting to show his age though..

I saw a female Betta the other day and she reminded me of the female one I had when I was younger and I loved! And somehow that got me thinking about breeding and I think it would be so much fun to try and breed them! Clearly I wouldn't use our old guys, lol, I'd definitely get two new younger ones.. I'm just in the research and study phase as I don't want to jump in and get way over my head. I work at a small pet store so I've already asked my boss if she'd like to sell the babies, that sounds like an important thing to figure out if it goes well I don't want to end up with a house full of fish and no body to take them! I definitely want to be responsible about it so any advice would be wonderful. I plan on reading through the forum to learn as much as I can (I hate when newbies post a million already answered questions, so trust me I'll try not to annoy you all.. but I'm sure I'll still have some questions )

Look forward to being a part of this forum! :)

Thanks!
CrazyBirdLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....you should be able to find lots of information here to get you started and as with any hobby especially that involves live critters...you have lots of different methods to reach the same goal....it is finding what works for you and what you have as well as how much you want to invest...both time and money....you have simple more natural methods and methods with all the bells and whistles and some in between a little of both....lol......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Welcome, hope you find it as great as I have. Happy reading and ask away.......
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #5 
kinderwaffle

Welcome!
I'm a crazy bird lady from Ontario tooooo! HAHA!
I have a Quaker and a Caique :)

I am also learning about breeding, although I am having a lot of trouble finding stock >.>

Anyways welcome! :D
kinderwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #6 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Welcome! I am new here as well, and there is definetly a lot of information here. Good luck on the breeding, you will have to give updates as it goes. =]
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #7 
Adastra

Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you decided to do a lot of research before getting into something like breeding. You should post some pictures of your old men when you have the time. :)
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:27 AM   #8 
sunnymui

Welcome to the forum :)
sunnymui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #9 
dirtyfishbow

welcome and may ur betta days be filed with color
dirtyfishbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #10 
cballas

Welcome :) And you'll find a butt load of info on here, and many members are very experienced breeders.

I'm not one, but I think the underlying theme from all of them will be...Make sure you have prospective HOMES for all the potential SPAWN. It's cruel to breed animals without a plan on what to do
with the babies. And there could be well over 50+!

They are very cool & it's fun to watch babies grow, but figure out WHO will take them in
before venturing further. If you are doing this for fun, then most petstores will take them...Probably NOT BUY THEM however...They probably buy them from a big seller for like 25-50 cents each,
but they may just take them from you for free.

Fish breeding seems kinda like any type of farming...It takes hard work, space, & solid (and often pricey) stock. It's not a cake walk to breed a show quality betta that will fetch $20 or more on AquaBid or at shows. Not being negative! Just be prepared.
cballas is offline   Reply With Quote