Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #1 
sbacklund

Do I need a filter and a heater?

I just put my betta in a 10gallon tank should i get a heater and a filtration system as well? Is it needed or just preferred?
sbacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #2 
bettafish15

Heater, needed
Filter, prefered
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

That depends-if you live in the tropics or an area that the weather stays nice and warm- you may not need a heater-you want to try and keep the water temp as stable as you can in the 76-80F range without extreme swings-a few degrees from night and day are not usually problematic-but extremes can be long term.

Filtration also varies-if you add live plants this can help-I don't use filters on a lot of my big and smaller tanks, but I have lots of live plants I use for the filtration in a sense.
Without a filter you won't get a true cycle and will need to make more and larger water changes unless you add lots of live plants

Filters don't change the fact/need of water changes-with or without a filter.... water changes must be done on a regular basis-filters only change the percent and number needed on a weekly basis
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote