Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #1 
cballas

Bravado Fins Are Clamped & Hanging Up Top

A week days ago I moved him to the new 8 G...I used the same water treatment as in the past,
and made sure the temp was close to the same as his old tank.

He didn't eat the first few days when I originally bought him...So I figured he just takes
longer to adapt than my other guys.

Now it's been a few days & his fins are clampy...tight together...and he's sticking up top....He
DID eat some pellets though, so that's good I guess...He also used to flare like crazy but has stopped that. My other guys were moved to new homes & they are doing great.

What can I do??

* I have a 2 G kritter keeper & micro heater ready, should I move him there & treat with....?
cballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #2 
cballas

Update - I had not set up the stock filter, so I did that...NOTE to all...The Nano filter has a "spray wand" with holes the water comes out of into the media...Well, I didn't point them ALL the way down,
and I promptly got showered when I plugged it in..LOL STRONG FILTER ALERT!!! It has been baffled.

This morning he's much more energetic & begged for pellets. Still sticking up top though,
and fins still stuck together looking.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #3 
cballas

Before and after pix...

Here is his tail before & as of today...
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #4 
Everlark

All I can say is that my boy has the same problem. The difference is he's always been like that and I thought that was just the way he was until I got on this forum and saw what everyone elses' fish looked like.
Everlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

In the 8gal filtered tank-how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, water temp, is he the only fish, how is his appetite, what type and how much on the additives use, any live plants-how long has he been acting this way and have you tried any treatment/medication
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #6 
cballas

Hi OFL - Ok here goes...

The temp is 78-79, using a preset Tetra heater.
He's much more active now, and always begs for food. He get's Hikari Gold pellets & frozen
BBS.
There are 2 live plants in there (not sure the names, but they are low light types).
It is filtered.
He is the only fish, no snails in it either.
I change a gallon a week. I used RO water with a little AmQuel & SeaChem Replenish.
I haven't tried any meds or salt ever.

Any ideas? It does look like the fins are opening up a bit more...I put a floating mirror in, he's very interested in it.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

You need to increase the amount of water changes on a regular basis to 4gal a week
Right now I would start some daily 4gal (50%) for several days and see if he won't perk up and start eating better for you-once his environment has improved he should start to swim around more and unclamp his fins provided that it is not external parasite related.
If he doesn't perk up after a couple of days of 50% water changes you may want to QT and do a salt treatment for 10 days.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #8 
KandiiPanda

You said you just introduced him to a new tank, right? If he's showing no other signs of illness, it may just be a delayed reaction to his new tank (not that I'm a betta expert, I just know because the same thing recently happened to Spock; my post is: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=52777)

My best advice is to change the water completely, and then leave him undisturbed for a couple days or so (still feed him, of course!). This is what I did and my fish perked right up c=
KandiiPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #9 
cballas

Yes he's not even been in it a month...He is a sensitive little diva.... :)
I'll do a 4G change tonight & keep that up, thanks guys!