Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #1 
TaylorW

Poster putty and metal wire?

I decided to redecorate my tank today, so I found a silk plant at Walmart that I decided to cut up and place in the tank. Unfortunately, when I cut the stems of the plant, I discovered metal wire. I also discovered that the plant floated. Why I didn't expect either of these things, I'm not sure

Anyways, I used some blue poster putty to attach the plant to another decoration. I had a choice between poster putty or duct tape, I figured putty was probably safer!

Do you all think that the putty and metal is ok? Or not so much ok?? All advice is greatly appreciated!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:17 PM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

Get that out of your tank RIGHT NOW!!!!!!D8

That Putty could have deadly chemicals in it! If it's toxic to humans it's definitely not safe for fish!!!

Use hot glue instead of putty and before you do that, melt some plastic back over the metal on your plant with a lighter or a match so that the metal isn't exposed to water!

Sorry I'm editing so much. :[ I don't wanna come off rude or mean! I'm not going for that! I'm just scared for your fish!

I know you don't wanna hurt him and you want to do well by him! =] That's why you're here on these forums! =]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 10-17-2010 at 11:25 PM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #3 
TaylorW

EEK!! Is it really that bad???
Old 10-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #4 
TaylorW

Ok, I've removed it! Haha, I knew you didn't mean anything, it's ok! I just don't know what's safe for tanks. So what's the right way to decorate with walmart plants? Any way to make them weighted?
Old 10-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #5 
TaylorW

I though putty was nontoxic, but maybe I'm wrong??? Anyone else used it with fish? I have to use it to keep the screen on top of my tank attached.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

like silk plants from walmart?

They sell plants that are already weighted in the fish section.

Or you could take a rock, pour some vinegar on it, see if it fizzes (if it does don't use it) and then hot glue (or aquarium sealant if you have it) the plant to the rock.

That way it'll stay anchored. =]

They sell some nice river rocks in walmart's fish section as well. =] Or any craft store really. =]
Old 10-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #7 
wallywestisthebest333

If you're using it to keep the screen on your tank it should be ok as long as it doesn't fall in.

Fish are very sensitive. They're killed by soap residue that can remain after a few rinses under hot water. Chemicals+fish is generally a bad idea. =] Unless it's specifically for fish of course. XD Like water conditioner and aquatic plant feritilizers. =]
Old 10-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #8 
TaylorW

I bought all of their weighted silk plants, but they come apart very easily. Two of my plants in my tank from walmart have leaves that fall off, and a 3rd has leaves that are starting to disconnect from the stems.

Ooh, I like the hot glue and rock idea!! Will that work with my plant with the wire in it if I cover the wire was cut?
Old 10-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #9 
TaylorW

The putty was also in the tank for awhile, will he be ok??
Old 10-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

yep. It should. =] as for the plants at walmart I advise getting the pack with the light green arrow shaped leaves plant, and the dark green and read leaves plant in it. =] I got that one and those two didn't come apart. =] The other one in the pack did but I just got some silk flowers to use on the stems that were still left over after the leaves came off. =]