Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #11 
Adastra

The plant might be dying because the leaves release tannins that darken the water so much that the plant has trouble getting enough light to sustain it. You could still use the leaves, but take them out once the water is a light brown color, so that the water does not get so dark that the plant has no light to live by.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #12 
Russet

I see! I'll try and do that. About the slime coat, I don't think is the salt thats causing the string like things because last time I've added only anti-chlorine to my tank and the next day I see the string like things. It always happens when I change the water. I asked my fish shop owner why is this happening and he said that the anti-chlorine burnt off my fish's slime coat. That is hard to believe because the anti-chlorine stated that "it will not hurt the fish, even if used in excess".

I like your pea cooking method. :) But, I heard some websites say that the pea could cause internal damage to the betta's organs. Is this true?
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #13 
Adastra

Some dechlorinators have slime coat boosting ingredients--Stress Coat, for instance, is a brand that contains additives that are supposed to stimulate slime coat growth. I prefer to use dechlorinators that just do the basic chlorine/chloramine/ammonia neutralizing, without any of those weird additives like aloe vera. After all, how does it make sense to put extract from a random desert plant into a tropical fish tank, lol? Better to go with a more basic product like Seachem Prime.

A lot of people have used the pea method with success, I have no reason to believe it would cause catastrophic internal damage. It's simply a small amount of indigestible material that generally passes through with no complications. You should only give your betta a small amount, about one pellet's worth. Some people feed their bettas peas once a week, but that isn't really something I recommend because they don't get any nutrition from plants--if you're going to add fiber to your betta's diet regularly, it would be better to do so in the form of frozen brine shrimp or daphnia. They have tough exoskeletons that the fish cannot digest, and they pass through their systems as fiber, in much the same way as plant matter.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #14 
Russet

About the lump on my fish. I tried my best to take a picture of it, but the picture's quality is not so good. So, I've researched for pictures and I have come out with this one. This is the exact lump my fish has! But my fish's lump is a little bit smaller.
http://img247.imageshack.us/i/bettadv3.jpg/
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote