Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #1 
ZH10

Bettas and Dividers

I have a 2.5 gallon bow front aquarium. It has all the normal requirements of light, heat and filter. I am considering putting in a divider to split the tank and get that traditional double Betta tank. I know I'm really getting to limit on how small of a tank two Bettas can live in but space is extremely limited in dorms. Now come the issues, the filter is an in-tank Whisper 10i filter. Its capable for tanks from 2-10 gallons. I feel that pump is pretty powerful, especially since one half of the divided tank will have the pump on that side with no where to swim to the other side of the tank. So is the flow for the Betta on that side of the tank too strong? Will 2 Bettas actually just stare at each through the divider forever? Or will they just stay in their respective sides? Should i down grade and get a less powerful filter such as Whisper 3i for tanks up 3 gallon sizes?
ZH10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #2 
Adastra

I wouldn't divide any tank smaller than five gallons for two bettas. Smaller, filtered tanks can barely support one betta if you're using the filtered and cycled method--two is simply out of the question in my mind. A five gallon tank will give each betta space to swim and plenty of places to hide from each other and feel secure. Animals that are confined in very small spaces often get bored and neurotic--in fish, neurotic behavior is often self-destructive. Tail biting and glass surfing can expose the fish to infection and cause permanent damage to the fins in the case of tail biting, and the eyes in the case of glass surfing (they often scrape their eyes on the tank while glass surfing).
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #3 
ZH10

Alright so only 1 Betta for the tank. I have routed the filter flow so it goes sideways towards the side rather than out into the tank? Is this effective enough for Bettas? How often should i do water changes?
ZH10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #4 
crowntail lover

Since your tank is around 3g. You will be needing to change the water 100% every week and do 30% changes every other day
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #5 
BettaBoy84

Talking Dividers

Maybe you could change up the bowl to a Tupperware bin..I do this in many of my tanks to cut back on cost make space.

They are cheap, and if box shaped, you can out them on a shelf or in closet...Just make sure they have appropriate vent holes in dividers to allow for water flow, and heat transfer.

You could always try a small sponge filter to provide both sides with aeration and clean water...just make sure they have room to swim before dividing and adding more.

that way you end up with have 1 happy betta, not 2 dead bettas...

..get creative, have fun..
Attached Images

BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote