Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #11 
Amotien

Ok so today was the 3rd day in a row that I did 50% water change for Mr Betta and he is not any better.. seems more lethargic then before.... However, I got a new themometer a floating one and he swam right up to it the second i put it in the tank and looked at it for about 30 seconds and then back to the bottom to lay there. :( So it was nice to see him actually swim somewhere and to know he can still do it....but doesnt want to :( So i also purchased the API Aquarium Salt and wil start with that treatment now too.

It was mentioned to do the QT in a smaller tank... the only thing I have is the little cup that he came in from the pet store so should i use this or do the 2 gallon tank half full???

Also wanted to be sure it is 100% water changes for 10 days and the new water each day will have more salt correct? So he will have salt treatment for 10 days?

Got an Ammonia test kit today and tested his water and he is between 0 to .5 so pretty low but now totally absent of Ammonia.
Amotien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

If you pre-mix the salt 1tsp/gal in the 1gal jug and use this for the water changes he should be getting the same dosage each day when you make the 100% water change

Yes, the cup he came in is fine for treatment and you can float it in your tank to maintain the temp

Is he eating at all?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #13 
Amotien

No he is not eating at all... he sometimes will swim up and towards the food but then never even tries to eat...

ok dumb question... When I mix the salt in the water I still need to be adding water conditioner too correct??
Old 10-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Yes, always use dechlorinator with any new water added to the fish if on city water supply

If you float him in another tank in a smaller container make sure and attach the small container so it doesn't sink by accident and drown the fish.

Once he starts to feel better he should start to eat-I would hold the food for now and try again in a couple of days.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #15 
Amotien

Ok Mr Betta has now been placed in small cup with fresh Tap water, dechlor, and aquarium salt. He actually for right this second seems a bit happier... He is not just sitting at the bottom which he has been doing he hangs out middle and top.... He is a bit less clamped in the tail too allowing his fins to open a bit on the bottom but not flaring them upwards. Will keep you updated on what over night brings for my guy.

Thank you everyone hoping he is feeling better in the AM
Old 10-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #16 
Amotien

Update on Mr Betta he has been in the salt mixture now for almost 2 days now and so far I am thinking good news!!! He seems less grey now he is only gray on top of his head and a strip down the top of his back he used to be grey all along his sides too... HE ATE HE ATE YIPPIE i got him to eat one little bloodworm so that makes me feel alot better I just kept thinking he is gonna starve to death so that makes me take a small breath. He does seem more active then before but mainly hangs at the top of the cup... although I guess there is not alot of space to do alot of swimming but his fins look alot less clamped, he seems less depressed..I think the salt is working I am soooooo excited and hope to continue to see improvement! Soooo I will continue the salt and small cup for a total of 10 days.

Then I need help on the plan to put him back in his 2 gallon and what to add to the water and all that fun stuff and how to care for his tank properly from here on out until i can get him into a 5 gallon. I know i need to get him a cave which he does not have and i read how important a hiding spot is.

Whew I feel so much less stressed now..the eating thing was what was killing me he had not eaten for almost 3 weeks now I think... :( but seems like little by little we are on the road to recovery :)
Old 10-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #17 
purplemuffin

You can get a coffee mug for a cave! Just make sure it is clean and there is no possible way it has soap on it!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Good to hear....remember to make your daily 100% water changes with the salt-this is an important step.......and try and keep the water temp within a couple of degrees from new and old water with the water change

Once his treatment is completed we can go over proper care in the 2g and 5g.....

Good job and keep us posted.....
Old 10-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #19 
Amotien

purplemuffin: Ohhhh Coffee Mug that is an excellent idea!! I can boil it in hot water to be sure its perfectly clean too :) Thank you for the idea!

OldFishLady: yes actually I am floating him in the small cup and also the next cup full of water (in a water bottle) all flaoting in the 2 gallon tank soooo that way the new salt water is the same exact temp as what he is in now... makes it easy too i just pour his cup and him out into the net very gently then real quick rinse his cup and then dump the other water (from the water bottle) into his cup and then set him freeeeee from the net into his newly changed water... he seems happier... Still seeming better this afternoon :)

Thank you, Thank you!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #20 
Oldfishlady

Good idea and good to hear he is getting better....keep up the good work.......