Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #1 
JessG

Cool Lights

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with my 2.5 gal tank for little Alvin. He's got a heater, and it works perfectly so long as the light in his hood is off. When I turn the light on, the big incandescent bulb heats the water too fast, and it gets really toasty in there.

Consequently, I can't leave his light on. I'd like to be able to leave his light on, since the room he's in doesn't have much ambient light. I need a light that won't get too hot. I'd also like to get him some live plants, but at this point, I'm afraid they won't have enough light to thrive.

Any suggestions?

Jess

BTW, Alvin is doing great. Yay! I love the way he really watches me, then turns his head and looks, then turns his head again. Maybe it's just because I feed him, but he really likes eye contact.
JessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #2 
Alex09

ok so You want to get a CFL (compact flourecent) They are designed to be compatible with incandescent fixtures. CFL's are more cool than incandescent. For an even cooler bulb you want one with low wattage. Standard is 15 watts but you can get a 8-10 watt CFL and since your tank is small, it will still be bright enough for your plants. If you want live plants the bulb must have a kelvin (k) temp of ~6500k these bulbs are usually labelled as "daylight". Here is an example
http://www.elightsupply.com/products...quivalent.html

Just go to your local hardware store and look for them. I know my walmart carries them as well. So in a nutshell, a 9-15 watt 6500k CFL bulb will serve.

Last edited by Alex09; 10-19-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #3 
JessG

The light in there now is a long skinny tube, and it has a clear guard over it to protect it from the condensation. I don't think a fat compact florescent will fit in there.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #4 
Pomsizzle

remove the heater.
turn on the light.
BAM. my 2 cents.
Pomsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #5 
JessG

But then the light just keeps heating the water, and it gets too hot, hotter than the heater.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

I believe something like this will work for you:

http://www.petsolutions.com/Colormax...0+C102422.aspx

Kinda pricey when you include shipping, but they last a LONG time & can support live plants. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #7 
Alex09

I do believe you can find those at a home depot or Lowe's as well.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #8 
cballas

not using a heater..That's what I do w/ my acrylic Eclipse 3G..in fact, it holds heat so well...the CFL (not an Incadescant) light keeps it 79-81.

Can you take the hood/light to Home Depot or Lowes ? They should help you find what you need.

ColorMax CFLs are beautiful! World of difference! Got mine at FosterSmith online, cheapest price there.

Or maybe remove the hood, and buy an external aquarium light to hang over?

Last edited by cballas; 10-19-2010 at 04:19 PM.
cballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #9 
JessG

Well, I need a hood, because we have a rather curious Siamese in the house. With the hood, she's left the fish alone, but I know without one, I'd be dealing with a wet pawed kitty around here.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #10 
Colibri

Lion Mom is right. One of those bulbs are great if you're having a lamp near the tank.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote