Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #1 
dragonfair

HELP! How can I heat without a heater?

Had to remove one of my bettas from his 10 gal divided tank. Can't really tell why but he's shredding his beautiful double tail! I'm gonna try to separate them for a few days to see if being close to another male is stressing him out. I only have small containers until I can figure out what else to put him in. No money for a heater OR a new tank set up. My house gets really cold. Does anyone know how to keep a small container warm if you don't have a heater?
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How small of a container? can you float it in your 10g? it would be harder for him to see the other fish if in a small container away from the divider....just a thought...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #3 
Pomsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfair View Post
Had to remove one of my bettas from his 10 gal divided tank. Can't really tell why but he's shredding his beautiful double tail! I'm gonna try to separate them for a few days to see if being close to another male is stressing him out. I only have small containers until I can figure out what else to put him in. No money for a heater OR a new tank set up. My house gets really cold. Does anyone know how to keep a small container warm if you don't have a heater?
A light, Something that get somewhat hot. Put him in a beanie baby container. like a 1.00 at micheals put the top on with the light on. and the water will get hot and evaperate fast. so dailly water changes.
Pomsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #4 
MizzVamp115

I put my 1.5 gallon kritter keeper on top of an electric heating pad for now until I can get him a new tank. It works pretty well you just have to check every now and then to make sure it's bot getting too hot.
MizzVamp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #5 
dragonfair

Unfortunately, the only container I have is a glass water pitcher, but y'all gave me an idea. I still have some divider material. What if I put another divider in to make a fish free zone a few inches wide. Hopefully, they won't be able to see each other very well if I put some thick plants in that space. If that doesn't work, I can put him in the pitcher with a thermometer and a lamp to keep it warm. Think that might work as a temporary fix?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #6 
BettaGirl290

yea, i guess. maybe you should try, PS about tail being shreded? check if any plants that you have in there arnt too pointy or rough.
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #7 
dragonfair

At first I thougth it was a blown tail, then I thought maybe he is catching it on things (cuz I never actually saw him biting) but everything is soft. Then, tonight, for the first time I caught him biting. Ohhh, sometimes I wish I could put him in time out. Heh heh... I guess that's what I'm doing now.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #8 
Capricorn

You don't have a small tupperware to use? o: I got some at a dollar store, they're the perfect size for holding a fish floating in a tank.

You also may want to check your water quality, sometimes when the levels get bad they decide to bite their tails out of stress.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote