Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #1 
djflipside

Exclamation Is This Fin Rot?

Not too sure if it is fin rot or not can anyone help?

So Ive recently moved both of my betta fish from there tiny bowls into a 5 gallon tank with a splitter. They each have 2.5 gallons a piece, and have enough room to swim around. I do have a heater and pump to keep the water conditions perfect.

One betta is a crowntail and is very agressive, and the other is a overly active halfmoon.

The halfmoon is who I am worried about. He use to be a very elegant white now he's developing a yellow colour. He doesnt flare at the crown tail or his reflection in the mirror. His lower fins are also damaged, and I dunno if it is fin rot or if hes just worn it down.

how can i fix his fins I want him to grow big and healthy. Does any one have an answer?

here are a few pics of him, I dunno if you can see it in the pics.
Attached Images

djflipside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #2 
bloo97

i don't see any yellow, but I do notice that the end of his fins are a little greener than the rest of his body.
This is (A really bad case of) fin rot

Also, How warm is the water in there tanks? Do you use water conditioner?
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

What a lovely fella you have...
Have a few questions
In the 5g divided/filtered/heated tank-how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, live plants, additives used, water temp and any treatment/medication tried, if so, how much and what kind
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #4 
crowntail lover

It doesnt look much of fin rot.. It might be his coloring... You could maybe try adding a bit of salt to his water to help his damaged lower fin. But he doesnt look too bad at all. Also.. What are you feeding him? And same questions that >Oldfishlady< had as well.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #5 
djflipside

To Oldfishlady

I have done a 25% water change to the 5gallon tank once in the past week since I just transferred them. I use plants but are not live, but i made sure they were not sharp to harm the fins. I do use a conditioner it is a multi purpose water conditioner, helps with natural slime, removes chlorine, and helps with healing. My heater keeps the tank around 78 degrees. I have not yet medicated the fish yet because I am not sure if its fin rot or just damage from him laying at the bottom of the tank.

To crowntail lover

He is not eating as much as he usually does. I have tried to mix it up with betta flakes, and betta pellets, but im going to try out dried bloodworms tomorrow. Mayb he is not eating enough to heal his damage fins.

Hopefully this will help you help me =D
Old 10-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

In a divided 5g with two fish-I would increase your regular water changes to 50% twice weekly
Right now I would do some 50% daily water changes for 3-4 days and see if that won't perk him up...it sounds like a water quality issue.....
Old 10-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #7 
djflipside

Ill see if the 50% water change will help him with his fins. I also have a quick question, can a betta fish can be over active? because he is constantly moving and I never catch him relaxing only at night.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Every Betta is different-some can be really active when other are not-it can also be related to comfort/safety too....
Behavior changes can be signs and any time to see a behavior change or odd behavior....make a water change even if you just did one earlier in the day or the day before....anything could have happened-fallen in the water, something in the air, on your hand, forgot to use dechloranator or enough...etc......
Old 10-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #9 
djflipside

Alright thanks =D hope this works.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #10 
JessG

Along the lines of fin rot,

I'm really new at this, and I'm not sure if this is a concern. I'm worried about the white tips on the bottom of Alvin's fins. Is that normal, or an issue?

His water is perfect, heated cycled tank, eating well, and active.
Attached Images

JessG is offline   Reply With Quote