Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #1 
Fawnleaf

10 gallon

Hay guys!

So some of you may know I have a sorority (14g) but now I want some boys. :) I am going to set up a 10 gallon in a few weeks, but I can't get anything more than that.

So I am going to put a heater in, but I don't think a filter would be a good idea because all my outlets are used up already... plus I have the time to do frequent water changes. It also will save me money and allow them to have "stagnant" water conditions like in the wild. So is no filter ok??

I also want to divide it. I know dividing it in 2 is fine, but 3 is too much, right? Just checking.

Heres my plan (if my guesses above are correct; if not I will adjust):
1 divider
2 male bettas
1 heater
2 caves
4+ live plants
black gravel/sand (which is better??)
lots of cover and other ornaments

Sound ok? Thanks guys!
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #2 
crowntail lover

You will need a filter! Try using a extenstion cord... (i now use 7) I would use gravel. And you will need a heater that can heat a 10g+.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #3 
Jupiter

Power bars are my best friend, especially when I was keeping more than one tank at once. :P

Yeah, a filter would make your life sooo much easier...but if you're willing to do the water changes, then go for it! Well, the plants will help you out a bit, too.

Splitting your tank into 3 is perfectly fine! That's what I had until Othello recently passed away. Each betta gets 3.3-ish gallons. I used to have it split 4 ways? or 5? But it gets a bit crowded like that.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #4 
bettafish15

I personally would only split the tank one way ^^ Everything else sounds good :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #5 
Colibri

You can split a 10 gal up to 4 times. That way each betta would get 2.5 gallons, which is the minimum for him being healthy and happy. (All my 4 live in 2.5 gal... and are perfectly fine.) As for the filter... I think it would be a good idea to have one. All my tanks are filtered and it helps you and the fish a lot (the nitrogen cycle), that way you'll stress the fish only now and then, not every other day with the frequent water changes you should be doing.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

Yup - use a power strip. WAY safer, IMO, that a bunch of extension cords.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Many of my soil based tanks are unfiltered but they are very heavy planted and the fish thrive in this environment.

With lots of the right plants you don't have to have a filter and if they are fast growing stem plants and floating plants that are actively growing you won't need to make any 100% water changes...the plants will function as the filter and actually work better at removal of ammonia and keep the nitrate under control than a bio-filter

For the plants to work this way they have to be actively growing and have enough of them to do any good...a couple of plants won't do it nor will slow growing plants like swords, ferns etc......

You also need good lights in the 6500-6700k range to get the plants to grow and thrive and if you have limited outlets to add a filter you will have limited outlets for the proper lights to get the plants to grow to keep the water safe for the fish

Unless you use a plant specific substrate or soil-use of either gravel or sand can work but are inert and you will need to add ferts with a low bioload to get the growth needed for the plants to thrive functioning as the filtration.

I would get a power bar and add good lights, lot of stem and floating plants if you want to go without a filter and 100% water changes

It easier to prevent problems than to treat, also-the Betta splendens is a domesticated fish and has never seen its natural habitat and could not survive in those conditions-these are pets that require good water quality to keep their fins intact as well as healthy.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #8 
Fawnleaf

Cool guys! Thanks! I'll look into getting a filter.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #9 
zelilaa

filter = 100% neccesary
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #10 
Fawnleaf

Is a sponge filter ok? Are they expensive?