Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #1 
Ajones108

Cleaning Tank After Death?

My lovely betta, Shif, passed away two nights ago. I wasn't posting here because I've been very busy. He seemed to have a cyst on his head for the longest time since I've had him so I don't believe that to be the cause. He's been gradually slowing down, and a few days ago I noticed him laying around a lot in his tank, sometimes on his side, and not coming out of his cave.

Knowing he had been slowing down, and he stopped eating that day, I QT'd him with aquarium salt and methylene blue because I had no idea what was wrong with him. No signs of parasites, nothing. Tested the water, 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites with about 5-10ppm of nitrates. Nothing abnormal. No spoiled food. No rotten plants.

He didn't get better once I QT'd him. He had really bad stress stripes and his color was faded, so I knew there was nothing else I could do. He passed away in the night two nights ago.

I'm going home today to Clearwater and burying him in the flower garden in wet paper towels. Mom already has a spot ready for me in the yard and my boyfriend is going for our little mini-funeral.

My question is:

Shif was not showing any signs of illness before he passed except being lethargic. He never pineconed and only bloated a little before he died. He didn't suffer very long. But he was kind of old for a pet store betta I think. He already had quite long and distorted rays when I got him and I've had him since early July. My guess is that he was about 2-3 years old.

But since he wasn't showing any signs of parasites or anything else contagious by betta standards, will doing a 90% WC suffice before putting Survivor in the filtered, cycled 5 gallon? I need a betta in there before I lose my cycle. I put some ammonia in yesterday.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Often the pathogens that affect our fish are always in the tank and no matter how much you clean or use bleach they will come back/be in the tank, you can keep number low with water changes, however, once the fish immunity is compromised these pathogens can attack infecting the fish-since you don't know what caused your fish to become ill in the first place but you suspect that it was age related...your plan of the large water change before adding a new fish is what I would do as well........sorry for your loss and look forward to seeing and hearing about your new wet-pet......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #3 
Lion Mom

I am SO sorry about Shif, Ajones!!!! I KNOW how much you adored that guy!!!! That is just so SAD. :(

I believe what OFL told you is the way to go. She is so smart!!!! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #4 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I'm so sorry about your fish. =[
That is very nice of your mom and boyfriend to be so caring right now.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #5 
Ajones108

Thank you everyone. I'm handling it well considering. Although I adored the little guy, I know that nothing I did is what ended him. He showed no other signs of illness, not even dropsy. When he became lethargic, he went fast.

OFL and Lion Mom - I am doing a pram check and an 80% water change tonight. Then... the 5gallon will be ready for one of my new wet-pets...

Yes... one of them... My darling boyfriend, helping me feel better and just wanting to buy me things, took me to PetCo.

You see where this is going now. >_> I came back to his apartment with 1 red and purple DT male, his tail I do believe is Delta. And one yellowish-orangish HM male who looks quite young but lively.

I was close to getting a cambodian dragon HM but he wasn't looking too lively. And there was one blue HM that looked like he had rosetail genes in him but I couldn't tell 100% and he was looking a little rough too.

Pictures to come. :) Thank you everyone.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

Congrats on the new kids, Ajones - can't WAIT for pics!!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #7 
Ajones108

They're beautiful. :)
Old 10-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #8 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones108 View Post
They're beautiful. :)
I bet they are!

Not to hijack your thread, BUT wanted to show you the two boys I am getting next week.

First is Dragon & then Patriot - enjoy!
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #9 
Ajones108

They're GORGEOUS! I'll post mine in a bit. :)
Old 10-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #10 
Lion Mom

Thanks! Don't know if you noticed or not, but Patriot is a double tail - my first EVER! :)

OK - still waitin' on yours, Girl!!!