My lovely betta, Shif, passed away two nights ago. I wasn't posting here because I've been very busy. He seemed to have a cyst on his head for the longest time since I've had him so I don't believe that to be the cause. He's been gradually slowing down, and a few days ago I noticed him laying around a lot in his tank, sometimes on his side, and not coming out of his cave.
Knowing he had been slowing down, and he stopped eating that day, I QT'd him with aquarium salt and methylene blue because I had no idea what was wrong with him. No signs of parasites, nothing. Tested the water, 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites with about 5-10ppm of nitrates. Nothing abnormal. No spoiled food. No rotten plants.
He didn't get better once I QT'd him. He had really bad stress stripes and his color was faded, so I knew there was nothing else I could do. He passed away in the night two nights ago.
I'm going home today to Clearwater and burying him in the flower garden in wet paper towels. Mom already has a spot ready for me in the yard and my boyfriend is going for our little mini-funeral.
My question is:
Shif was not showing any signs of illness before he passed except being lethargic. He never pineconed and only bloated a little before he died. He didn't suffer very long. But he was kind of old for a pet store betta I think. He already had quite long and distorted rays when I got him and I've had him since early July. My guess is that he was about 2-3 years old.
But since he wasn't showing any signs of parasites or anything else contagious by betta standards, will doing a 90% WC suffice before putting Survivor in the filtered, cycled 5 gallon?
I need a betta in there before I lose my cycle. I put some ammonia in yesterday.