Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #1 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
New Betta....question about his odd behavior....

Salutations

My names Cat and I just got myself a Betta. Been lurking on your site for the past 3 days or so, and finally decided to make an account! It was inevitable:D

So I've had fish most of my life but for the past while I've been 'fishless'. Five years back my hubby and I gave up the condo in Toronto and set out on an RV to travel North America. I've heard of people taking their fish before but it never seemed like a good idea to me!

During our travels we took our cat, cockatiel, bearded dragon and hermit crabs....all well traveled and love life on the road. Since arriving back in Toronto we decided to get a little studio condo to stay at for the summer we are here and for the cold month before we take off again and when we come back It's half for my mineral makeup business as well....needed the room to expand...so we'll be here a lot....and a Betta was on my mind from the beginning....

Soooo I used to have a Betta years ago, who committed suicide on Christmas day. It was traumatizing....I cried my eyes out. It was a beautiful red guy, and he left red marks all over the wall and counter from where he was flipping around before he passed. It was HORRIFIC....traumatizing....I get tears in my eyes thinking about it UGH.

So I was surprised that I went out the other day and got myself a beautiful blue and green/teal guy (with a touch of red on the lower fins!)....thinking I'd never get one again. And then I found this forum and realized I had NO IDEA how to care for a Betta in the past. My past Betta was living in a large vase with bamboo sticks, no heater, etc etc.

So anyway, I got this one with a small Marina tank, half a gallon and then I read this site and decided on a bigger tank. I have a Biorb on order (I know, stupid expensive and stuff, but I just loved the look!) and I should receive it in a week.

HOWEVER, the other day I managed to crack the little Marina tank....so now my little guy is in a tall and rather large Ikea vase. I am not sure if he likes it though. In the first tank, he seemed so happy, making bubble nests and floating all around. In the vase, there are NO bubble nests and he is just racing up and down the vase (it is quite tall). At first we thought maybe he liked all the space to fly up and down, but after watching him today, I am not quite sure....sometimes he REALLY jets, like acting real spastic. One time he even crashed into the gravel. Other times it's slower and more controlled. I am getting tired just watching him, lol!

Can anyone shed light on this? Is he seeing his reflection? Is he stressed?
I am keeping his water super clean with changes everyday just like I was doing in the old tank. He's eating fine....but I did notice that he has a bit of tail rot....very slight. Likely due to the terrible petsmart conditions I'm thinking. I picked up the right medication for this (starts with an M, I forget now) and will give that to him tomorrow morning....as I want to see if he calms down first.

Any insight would be great! Thanks in advance

StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #2 
metalbetta

Welcome!
My best guess is that your new guy is glass surfing. It's a neurotic behavior that a fish develops when it's stuck in a small space or just bored. One of my bettas used to do it a bunch and it drove me crazy. I know exactly how you feel! I got him a 2.5 gallon regular old glass tank and he's stopped since. I'd bet that once he gets situated in the BiOrb you have coming he probably won't do it as often, if he doesn't stop altogether.
If he's just got slight fin rot, medication is probably not needed. If that "M" is for melafix, a lot of people here will advise against it... I've never used it on my fish, but I've heard it can really screw up their labyrinth organ.

For now I'd just say keep his water super clean until you can get him into his new tank!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

Yeah bettas are weird. I had a tiny little female in a 1/2 gallon jar. As soon as she was in a 10 gallon with my other girls she doubled in size and became head of the tank :P

If you do use Melafix be sure to water it down. So add a small dosing to a 1 gallon jusg of treated water and then use the water to treat him rather than the meds just by themselves.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #4 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Hiya Metalbetta!

Thanks so much for your response! I feel a bit better, although quite anxious to get that Biorb now! And yeah, it's kinda stressful to watch him. At first I thought he was having fun. My hubby and I would look at him and say: Fish goes UP.....Fish goes DOWN....Fish goes UP....Fish goes DOWN. It was funny at first but ya, today it looked exhausting.

I moved my pink lava lamp close to the vase, and he's actually calmed down a bit. Interesting!

The medication I got is called Maracyn Two by Mardel. I read in a few places it was good for this kind of thing so I figured I'd get it just in case. I'll wait a couple of days to see what happens and if he gets worse, I'll medicate him. Until then, I hope he gets better, and chills the heck out already. I just love him though....he's pretty darn awesome!

Thanks again:D
Old 10-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #5 
StarSpun

Heya MrVampire181....that's funny about your female. Amazing these fishes can have so much personality. So entertaining!

What I got is called Maracyn Two....gonna wait a bit to see if he gets better on his own first
Old 10-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #6 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I am in the same boat! lol! I have been wanting to get a Betta again for weeks, but haven't had one since I was about 13. I found this forum on accident and realized I did NOT know what I was doing before. But now I do! Luckily I found the forum first, and so I don't have my fish yet and am getting a nice 5 gallon all set up for my future Betta. =]
So atleast we both realized our mistakes and are changing!

Hope your little guy makes you happy! Can't wait to see his new tank!
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Welcome to the forum! Does your betta have a hiding spot or a plant in the vase? He could be feeling a bit insecure too.

Just keep up on the regular water changes and the fin rot should go away on its own without any medication. :D
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #8 
StarSpun

LikeDiscoSuperfly....yeah, I feel better now knowing what I know. Thanks! Good luck with your future Betta

Jupiter....he has a little plant for now, but he rarely stays near it at the bottom. Just up and down, driving me mad, ha ha. He's a pretty bold little guy! I really hope my stuff comes in the mail soon. Lots of things to hide in

I've been doing lots of water changes, but it seemed to be getting worse. I've caved in and started the meds, and now he doesn't seem to be getting any worse. Time will tell I guess.

I also didn't fill his vase all the way to the top, to see if that would stop the up down thing. He seems a bit better. Still doing it once in a while. I am wondering now if it IS his reflection he is going at!

Thanks for your help
Old 10-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #9 
BettaGirl290

hmmm, do you have gravel? if you dont get some. And maybe a female? it might calm him down, Plus you dont really need to spawn them if you get a female. Good Luck!!!!! :)
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #10 
StarSpun

UPDATE!

My poor guys fin rot has gotten out of control! I've been changing his water all the time, the temp is right....etc. He is going up and down like mad and his top fin is all ripped up, part of it caught on a plant

I moved him to a small bowl with meds overnight. This morning, another piece of his fin lays on the floor. I don't know what to do!

I hope the meds clear this up for him. He seems so stressed out....and I've tried everything