Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #1 
Moldau

Exclamation Apparently cycle partly crashed, need advice

I was about to go to bed last night (and actually get enough sleep) but I started feeling paranoid and decided to test my aquarium water. Well, there's nitrite. I have a very old (several years) API test kit. According to that, the nitrite was at about 0.5. According to my new tetra test kit, nitrite is at about 1.0. (It's kind of hard to read, colors don't contrast much). The ammonia test ran out of drops halfway through, so I don't know what that was at. I'm guessing the ammonia to nitrite part is still in place, but the nitrite is not being converted to nitrate! I don't know if the nitrite to nitrate bacteria could have somehow died after I added the fish. I did a 50% water change last night. I just wanted to know what steps I should take to let this part of the cycle reestablish without harming my fish. The tank is a five gallon with a single male betta.
Moldau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How long has the tank been set up and what was your cycling method, any live plants and what type of filter and additives used, the Betta the only livestock in the 5g...also what is your regular water change schedule-how much and how often and water temp
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #3 
Moldau

Thanks for the reply, here is the information you asked for.

The tank took about a month to cycle with pure ammonia and the betta's been in there for almost a week. I did make sure to keep adding ammonia until I got him. Right before adding him I did a 100% water change. There are no live plants. Filter is a Red Sea Nano with AquaClear foam as the filter media. I tried using SeaChem Stability to see if it would help the cycle but I only added it at the beginning and once about halfway through the cycle. I have Stress Coat for conditioning the water. You are correct, there are no other tankmates. I was planning on doing 50% changes once a week. Temperature is at 80 degrees F.
Moldau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

When you did the 100% water change-was this just water or did you clean everything in the tank and did you also change the filter media or rinse it in tap water
I would stay on top of the 50% water only water changes ever day to every other day to keep the levels safe for the fish as you are already doing and I would not do any vacuuming for at least 7 days or touch the filter media to give the beneficial bacteria time to re-colonize-depending on the cleaning method on the 100% water change and filter cleaning-you may have to cycle again...hopefully it is just a mini-cycle and you will be back on track in a week to 10 days...what is your nitrate reading and pH?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote