Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #1 
purplemuffin

Quick questions for setting up a tank!

:) So, since I'm not going to be home when my betta comes in, and I didn't get a chance to get everything while at home, I'm doing my best to buy some online.

I just need some quick references to decor--a few fake or real plants and such that I can get online that will help the betta feel safe until I can get home and start really setting up his home!

If you have any names you can reference that are good for cover and won't make him feel like he's in a big empty space, that would be awesome! :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

For live plants, order from:

http://plantedaquariumscentral.com/

It's the ONLY place I will purchase plants from!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #3 
purplemuffin

Just a bit more info:

It's a 5 gallon regular rectangle tank, it came with a light(from walmart, so I don't know how good the light is. but the tank is in a fairly sunny room(not in direct sunlight, but there are a lot of windows, and regular plants seem to do well in there)

I would like to buy from http://plantedaquariumscentral.com/
Edit: Oh I didn't see your comment while I was writing mine! ;) Awesome!

Do you have any favorites that would fit a 5 gallon? I know I want a moss ball and some plants for cover!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

Ok umm here is what I have so far--

a moss ball, a java fern, Cryptocoryne parva, anubias barteri var. nana...

I tried to pick plants she said was easy that I liked? Should I buy more than one of any of these? Or are there some other favorites you like/are there any I should just get rid of?

Old 10-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #5 
Alex09

Other easy plants are hornwort, anacharis, hygrophila, and wisteria. These plants are also fast growers and as such, help alot with water quality and ammonia removal.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:58 PM   #6 
purplemuffin

Alright!! I added some of those as well...

While I was at it, I also am surprising my boyfriend with a bigger tank, so I'm letting him take some of the plants if my tank starts looking full! :D Our fishies should be very happy
Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 AM   #7 
Adastra

I would skip the crypt--they are root feeders, so unless you have a few root tabs for it, I'd stick with stem plants and rhizome plants like anubias, bacopa, rotala rotundifolia, christmas moss, java fern. If you want a nice root feeder, dwarf lilies are great for bettas and they're a really beautiful plant with nice broad leaves for the betta to sit on and nest under. The leaves tend to get a little messed up in shipping due to their shape, but once they grow back in--lovely!
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:15 AM   #8 
purplemuffin

Ok, took the crypt out! Think the rest is good for now? I might go back and add more later, at least when I get to see the tank in person and get a feel for how it's doing! I do love the mosses and would enjoy adding them later :)
Old 10-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

One word on the Hornwort - I (and others) find it sheds it's needles something AWFUL and makes quite the mess.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #10 
purplemuffin

hmmmm... that is a good point.. I might just take that out too. Thanks for the tips guys! It LOOKS like it must be messy! I might just get two java ferns?