Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #1 
Moshilover

Going away for the holidays

I just transferred to a new university this year that is a few hundred miles away from my home and I live in a dorm. I will be flying back home for Thanksgiving for like 5 days. And leaving my Moe back at my dorm. Should I get someone to feed him periodically? None of my roommates will be here so it could be a little bit of a hassle getting someone to come.
I've seen those large tablets of food you can plop inside the tank for when someone leaves for weeks on end, but those aren't recommended for bettas are they?
Moshilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #2 
wystearya

Don't get the feeder blocks, they will make the water nasty and most Bettas won't eat from them anyway.

If you can, maybe feed him some high quality food like frozen blood worms for a few days before you leave. Say you feed twice a day, make one of the feeding blood worms and the other your regular food. This can help him sort of "fatten up" so to speak.

I have read that Betta fish can go a long-ish time without food. Worse comes to worse he should be OK without food for 5 days. I would do this before trying the feeder blocks.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #3 
Adastra

The problem typically with leaving your betta for a long period of time is not the feeding--bettas can go for a couple weeks without eating just fine--it's how much the water quality deteriorates between the time you leave and the time you can come back and change it. If your fish is in a small uncycled container, you may want to instruct one of your friends on how to change the water while you are gone, and make sure they do it once while you are there to watch them just to make sure they know how to do it properly. You might want to hide the food or give them strict feeding instructions because for some reason, many people have a strange urge to grossly overfeed fish.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #4 
Moshilover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
The problem typically with leaving your betta for a long period of time is not the feeding--bettas can go for a couple weeks without eating just fine--it's how much the water quality deteriorates between the time you leave and the time you can come back and change it. If your fish is in a small uncycled container, you may want to instruct one of your friends on how to change the water while you are gone, and make sure they do it once while you are there to watch them just to make sure they know how to do it properly. You might want to hide the food or give them strict feeding instructions because for some reason, many people have a strange urge to grossly overfeed fish.
My tank is a 3 gal and its one of those marineland tanks with the Bio-Wheel filter. Its a really good system I think so the water should be fine for the short time I'm going now. The only problem is when I leave for a month during Christmas vacation...
Old 10-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Make a some daily water changes for several days before you plan to leave and stop feeding him 2 days before you leave...he will be fine without food while you are gone.....have a safe trip......

You may need to find someone to make the water changes and feed your fish at least once a week over Christmas vacation....I would worry more about water quality than food......they can go a long time without eating...but limited when it comes to water quality....another option would be cramming the tank full of hornwort or water lettuce if you can't find someone you trust to make the water changes or a bigger tank maybe.....to bad you can't take him with you over Christmas......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #6 
wystearya

You know, one idea for the Christmas break is to take him home. Just get a critter keeper (or other inexpensive tank) and do the needed water changes. I used to have a Betta in college and I took him home with me for long breaks. They travel well in a plastic jar. I'd set mine in the cup holder for the drive. ;)
Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #7 
Moshilover

Quote:
Originally Posted by wystearya View Post
You know, one idea for the Christmas break is to take him home. Just get a critter keeper (or other inexpensive tank) and do the needed water changes. I used to have a Betta in college and I took him home with me for long breaks. They travel well in a plastic jar. I'd set mine in the cup holder for the drive. ;)
That would definitely be my first option if I had a car, which I don't, and if I wasn't going home on a plane...I highly doubt you can take fish on planes with you... XP
Old 10-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #8 
Adastra

You should mail him home before you leave--it is a very common practice and plenty of people do it with success all the time. You can order a 72 hour heat pack and send him express or priority. There are plenty of tutorials on how to ship your betta online if you do a bit of googling around. I would link you to one, but it would break forum etiquette. :>
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #9 
Moshilover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
You should mail him home before you leave--it is a very common practice and plenty of people do it with success all the time. You can order a 72 hour heat pack and send him express or priority. There are plenty of tutorials on how to ship your betta online if you do a bit of googling around. I would link you to one, but it would break forum etiquette. :>
Hmm you could PM me if you'd like. It would be nice to do this when I go home for the Summer for months and I have to clear everything out of my dorm room.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #10 
wystearya

Ooops! I didn't realize it was a plane trip for you. Glad you have another option though with mailing him home. :)