Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2010, 06:58 AM   #1 
rileyup

Question betta food?

i want to feed kaida the best food possible what mashed seamonkeys and fishfood gravy any ideas
rileyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #2 
sunnymui

Variety is always good.

I've been using Sayuri betta pellets, tetra delica brine shrimp, live blood worms (although they're really gross), hikari pellets and tetra betta flakes. If we have any in the house, I've fed him little tiny bits of fresh cooked mussels, prawns, fish, just to give him variety. Elmo eats everything, but my other betta, used to be very reluctant to eat anything but the brine shrimp!

Also I fast once a week to make sure my greedy little betta doesn't become too bloated.
sunnymui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #3 
StayyyFlyyy

where do you buy your bloodworms?
StayyyFlyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #4 
sunnymui

I get my blood worms from local aquarium shop, they do a bag of live blood worms for $2. I think you can get frozen blood worms from most pet stores, but my parents don't like me keeping them in the freezer with food!
sunnymui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #5 
StayyyFlyyy

yeah i have frozen ones but i want the real thing! lol although i think the frozen ones are packed with protein and nutrients... still i wanna try em once.. what else do you feed your betta? I love feeding mine.. i get a little dixie cup and put my frozen cube in there with some tank water and i have this little dropper i use to suck up the worms and feed them one by one to him... brine shrimp are the funnest... the frog loves em too
StayyyFlyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #6 
Adastra

It's best to give your fish variety--I feed mine OmegaOne Betta Buffet Pellets and New Life Spectrum supplemented with frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, and frozen daphnia. Occasionally, I will get live blackworms from the local fish store, but you have to take care when using live food. Always rinse live worms thoroughly in tank water before feeding and make sure that you know how to safely store and keep the worms alive before you buy them. For blackworms, I get a tupperware container and cover the bottom with a paper towel that has been moistened with tank water. You want enough moisture to keep the worms wet, but you don't want there to be enough water for them to drown in, then keep the worms in the refrigerator. Only use worms that are lively and wiggly--if they smell bad, throw them away.

Last edited by Adastra; 10-21-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

I don't reccomend live food. They're known to carry diseases that can kill your betta (eeh hemmm DROPSY!!). I feed Hikari Betta Bio Gold, HBH Betta Bites, Freeze Dried Bloodworms (occasional treat only), Frozen Bloodworms, BettaMin, and Wardleys Betta Pellets.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #8 
Jupiter

Yep, variety is always great.

I have TopFin and Wardley's Betta pellets, freezedried brineshrimp, and freezedried bloodworms (both of these from Hikari). I'd love to get some Hikari Bio-Gold pellets too, I'm having a hard time finding them in stores though.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote