Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #1 
ZH10

Betta acting odd

My recently added a Betta to both my 1.5 gallon and my 2.5 gallon. Both tanks have the same Whisper 3i filter. The 2.5 gallon Betta is doing well, swimming and exploring the tank. The 1.5 gallon Betta seems to the hug the sides of the tank. I turned off the pump to check if the flow was to high and he reacted by straying into the middle. I have since then added a gang value to slow down the air pump line quite a bit but he still sitting at the tank sides and bottom. I don't want to turn the flow down to just a trickle, but is that what i must do?
ZH10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #2 
cballas

It sounds like he might be fine & just be getting used to it...But I have had Whisper Filters, and I do baffle them, even though they aren't seemingly as strong as others.
They are good filters, but it still might be too strong for him.
If you can, get a strip of aquarium sponge, rip it & fold it over, then stick it
under the top in front of the out flowing water.
A trickle is fine actually, as long as it's going, the good bacteria will grow and help
you keep ammonia down. I have my 2 10G's at almost a trickle, parameters are great, and everybody is a happy camper.

But another thing might be....What is the temp is the 1.5? They get sluggish under 76 degrees,
The smaller the tank, the harder it is to maintain a stable temp.

Anyway to find a 10G on the cheap ( i got mine for $10 on sale) & make a divider for them? Easier to keep the temp/water stable.

Last edited by cballas; 10-20-2010 at 11:23 PM.
cballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:36 PM   #3 
ZH10

I reduced the pump down to a trickel, they work using air pumps to raise water so i just put them through an air gauge and lower the air flow. Seems to have worked well. I have a heater in my 2.5 gallon that is adjustable which was fine until i set it for 79 degrees and it just never turned off so it raised the water to 83 degrees! I have since turned it down, i don't know how this didn't happen before i put in the fish because i set it up a day before the fish went in. Right now the heater is set to 76 degrees but it still comes on occasionally. Has anyone experience where a heater did this? Maybe the heater is just a tad too powerful, regardless of what the package says (2-10 gallon). Can't do the double 10 gallon, living in college dorm.
ZH10 is offline   Reply With Quote