Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #21 
Jupiter

No, but that sounds like an interesting idea!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #22 
Capricorn

I have ping pong balls, but the two males with them only like them when I move them around FOR them. e.e Otherwise they chase my finger across the surface and check out stuff when I move things near them. xD

Fishing lure idea sounds neat, though.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:56 PM   #23 
MrVampire181

They sell floating logs that are good for larger (not that big, like 5 or 10 gallons) tanks.

They also sell plant leaves that have suction cups that bettas can sleep on...they love these things.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #24 
Imabee

I float the lids of my betta food in the bowl for a while, he loves them...anything new in the bowl seems to be quite amazing to him for a long time. Mine likes reflective things outside his bowl too, like shiny coke cans or lotion bottles. He really notices when I move things around outside his bowl!
Imabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #25 
ilovebunnies

I would be careful about using fishing lures in your Betta's home. I remember fishing with my boyfriend a few years ago and I would see warning labels on the fishing lure packages. Apparently the lures contain lead in them. Even the plastic (soft and hard plastics) can release toxic chemicals into the water.

This is a problem even when using these products for fishing. The toxic materials used in these products have effected wild bird and fish populations. There are some companies that are making a change and using environmentally safe materials. If you want to use a fishing lure as a toy for your Betta than I would look for ones made without lead or other harmful plastics. They are marketed as environmentally friendly whereas the toxic ones have warning labels on the package and tell you to wash your hands after touching them.

Just wanted to inform everyone.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #26 
sunnymui

I put a large floating glass bead, Elmo loved pushing it about. Ping pong balls scare him, he hides in his cave until I take it out!

I also made a temporary hoop for him to swim through from a pink pipe cleaner, which sometimes he'll think "this is amazing, I'm swimming through it, I'm clever!" Other days, he'll look at it, and have this blank look on his face!

My other betta - Oscar used to pace up and down one side of the tank. I then realised he was bored, so I used to put bright coloured items outside his tank for him to 'inspect'!

I do the same with Elmo's tank. Whenever we get junk mail through the post, like a Domino's menu, or Pizza Hut menu, I put it infront of their tanks, and they 'read', maybe looking to get some take-out!!!
sunnymui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #27 
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebunnies View Post
I would be careful about using fishing lures in your Betta's home. I remember fishing with my boyfriend a few years ago and I would see warning labels on the fishing lure packages. Apparently the lures contain lead in them. Even the plastic (soft and hard plastics) can release toxic chemicals into the water.

This is a problem even when using these products for fishing. The toxic materials used in these products have effected wild bird and fish populations. There are some companies that are making a change and using environmentally safe materials. If you want to use a fishing lure as a toy for your Betta than I would look for ones made without lead or other harmful plastics. They are marketed as environmentally friendly whereas the toxic ones have warning labels on the package and tell you to wash your hands after touching them.

Just wanted to inform everyone.
Thanks for the heads up! Strike that idea... WHY on earth would they put lead in them? For the color?
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #28 
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imabee View Post
.... Mine likes reflective things outside his bowl too, like shiny coke cans or lotion bottles. He really notices when I move things around outside his bowl!
There's a neat idea! I could add a nice reflective mobile and we'd both enjoy that. Heck, the room has a fan to circulate air for the plants anyway- aim it strategially for the mobile and we're good to go!

Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #29 
ilovebunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
Thanks for the heads up! Strike that idea... WHY on earth would they put lead in them? For the color?
I have no idea. I just remember being worried about not being able to wash my hands after touching the lures. There was a warning on them telling you to wash your hands and not put them by your mouth. But where was I going to wash my hands thoroughly outside, and who doesn't have a snack while trying to fish.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #30 
Fawnleaf

Do the betta hammocks work well? I have always wanted to get one!!!! :) Also, do the hamster tubes float, or would they sink?
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote