Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #1 
dragonfair

thoughts on Hydor Mini Aquarium Heaters

Has anyone ever used these successfully? The reviews I've found are no help. I'm concerned about not being able to control the temp. They're on clearance(!) at Petsmart - 2-5 gal for $4.50 & 5-10 gal for $6.50. Since I can't afford a real, 25 watt adjustable heater, I was thinking about getting one of these for a 2.5 or a 5 gallon container so I can separate 2 of my guys out of their divided tank (my (really) elaborate measure to ensure they can't see each other are failing with a big fat F). Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Attached Images

dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #2 
Alex09

They are generally not recommended as you cannot adjust the temp on those and they dont ever turn themselves off.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #3 
dragonfair

Ah bummer...
Old 10-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #4 
Alex09

Walmart has some heaters that are preset to 78 for about $15 or so. They are probably available in other stores as well.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #5 
ThePearlFish

I would get the Hydor over the Walmart ones. The walmart ones need a filter to work the best and I kept having issues with them. Some others on here have as well, but then others don't it depends I think. When I have used a Hydor on two different tanks (a 2.5g and 1.5 g) it worked fine, It never overheated the tank. just kept it a few degrees over room temp. or a few degrees over the temp of the tank with a light on.

But that is just my experience with both of the ones mentioned above. Others might have had better or worse experience with them.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #6 
dragonfair

Yeah, I saw those, but I've read a lot of bad reviews & complaints about non-adjustable ones. I'd hoped these would be different. Dag-nab-it! If my house wasn't so cold...
Old 10-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #7 
ThePearlFish

a light over the tank doesn't help to raise the temp?
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #8 
Adastra

I don't use non-adjustable heaters--they are unreliable, and if the ambient temperature of the room is low, around 70-72 degrees, they won't heat the water enough, if the room is 78-80 degrees, it will overheat the water. I only recommend heaters that have an adjustable temperature dial--they are a few dollars more, but I believe it is worth the investment. After all it is a higher quality product that will last longer and will provide you with more security, stability, and control. If you have some other supplies you want to order, you could save a ton of money by ordering your heater and other products online.

I use and recommend these--as you can see, the 25 watt is quite reasonably priced: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...8&pcatid=11368

I have seen these in pet stores for as much as $27, so what you save more than makes up for the cost of shipping. If you order a few more items, you'll save even more.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #9 
dragonfair

Whoops, there are posts in between mine, sorry.

Actually, I have a good setup: 2 10 gal hooded tanks with filters & 50 watt adjustable heaters. All the fixins. Problem is, 2 of my guys can't handle being in a divided tank. If only I'd known...They're so stressed, and all the suggestions given to me didn't work. I need to separate them completely, but I just can't afford any other equipment - I can't justify spending so much on my boys when money is so tight. I could easily put one in another container, but how long can he handle 68-70 degree room temperature?

It's a really hard decision, but I think I need to find a new home for one of my little guys. I don't know of anyone in my area who keeps fish. Anyone live near Dallas, TX who can adopt either a tail-biting 4-color doubletail OR a manically active pink dalmation veiltail?
Old 10-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #10 
wystearya

Well, I know I have an unpopular opinion, but my Tetra HT10 heaters have (so far) been perfectly reliable for my 2.5 and 5 gallon tanks.

My house has been "cold" too, as low as 60 degrees while I am at work. I check the tanks the moment I get home, and the lowest temp I have seen on the LCD thermometer is 76. When I double check with my digital meat thermometer, it reads no lower than 77.

They are a 50 watt unit, and pre-set to 78 degrees. There is a light on it that is green when the unit has power and the light turns red when it is actively heating the water. The temperature doesn't fluctuate more than a couple degrees.

This has been my personal experience. I know of some other people here on the bettafish forum that also have had good results from the Tetra brand pre-set heaters. Still, I think it is just all up to you and what you want to try. If the heater didn't work properly, I know Wal-mart (and I assume any other store) would refund your money. I think at Wal-mart they are around $12, and at my local petstore they were $16.

All I know is that they work for me and I am very happy with the Tetra heaters.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote