Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2010, 12:05 AM   #1 
rmcwilli

Tank help?!

ok, so i bought a new betta recently and was told that a half gallon tank was enough. so i bought it. but when i put him in it, it seemed nowhere near big enough. so i went back and bought a bigger tank (2.65 gal) a few days later. it looked fine in the store. but once i brought it home and set it up with him in it, he started seeing his reflection in the sides because they are curved. and does not seem overly happy. i need to know if he will calm down soon and stop freaking out over his reflection. because if not, he has to go back in the tiny 1/2 gallon. i would buy him a different tank, but i am a college student living in residence and do not have the money to buy a third tank within a week.
rmcwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:11 AM   #2 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

He could just be settling in, it your really worried about him stressing himself out get some aquarium silicone and rub it on the sides that he sees his reflection on most often, but on the inside, be sure to transfer him to the other aquarium first, dry off the bigger one, smear the silicone against the inside of the glass and let it sit for at least 24 hours, i would suggest 48, but im a worrier. But then again, he may just be restless at the new change in environment. If you get silicone get silicone for use with aquariums, they should have some at your pet store.
Lenalee Nilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #3 
rmcwilli

thanks for the info. about how long would it take to "settle in"? that way i can leave him be for now, but if the problem persists i can apply that silicone.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:20 AM   #4 
TaylorW

Maybe try a tank background? Or tape a piece of paper or poster board to the back of your tank or bowl. That might help reduce the reflection, my betta quit chasing his reflection and calmed down a bit after I did that.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #5 
rmcwilli

i tried a background, but the way the sides are curved seems to act as a mirror regardless. plus with the background, even i could see his reflection.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:23 AM   #6 
TaylorW

Ugh, that stinks, I'm sorry. That would be the easiest way to fix the problem! What kind of tank do you have?
Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 AM   #7 
rmcwilli

it is a marina cool 10. the person at the fish store said it was the best tank they had. but based on how it curves, i am uncertain if it is all that great.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:34 AM   #8 
TaylorW

I see what you mean about the curves, that is an odd shape...

Not sure how long it takes for them to settle in since my betta settled in immediately! But I think I read on here that it can take a week or two?? Not positive on that though, I'm a newbie too
Old 10-25-2010, 12:39 AM   #9 
Alex09

Many people use that tank with no problems. He'll chill out eventually. It may take a few days but it will happen. Do you have any bright lights over the tank? That could be intensifying the reflection.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #10 
rmcwilli

no, not anymore. i had been using a light to simulate day, but i will stop now and just hope he can get enough light from the window. thanks for the help.