Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2010, 02:56 AM   #1 
truthequalslies

Exclamation dangerous temperatures

Well much to my dismay its been waaaayyyyy tooo hot these last few days the heat actualy reached 119f today it may have even gotten hotter and I'm having trouble keeping all of my my tanks "cool" I lost my dear lil puff (dwarf puffer) to the heat today I was devastated the tank actually reached 90f ! And the heater wasnt even plugged in! I'm thinking of trying freezing conditioned water into cubes to float in my tanks but I'm affraid it might just make things worse I'm affraid for my male bettas that the heat will get them too any of you guys have any suggestions?
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:22 AM   #2 
Mizzle

put ice into zip lock baggies and float them in the tanks until you reach desired tempurature
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:34 AM   #3 
shmifty5

I know of several ways to quickly cool off your tank without an expensive chiller.

1. use dechloronated water and freeze it in a baggie or bottle, then place it in the tank and replace it with another already iced package, best to go with 4 bottles/baggies so you can re-freeze the unfrozen packages without their being a delay.

2. keep a fan or several fans on over the tank (pointing at the waters surface), this will increase evaporation and quickly cool the tank, I use a mix of fans and ice packages to keep my newt tanks below 65 C (or F? I always mix them up...).

3. a minifridge, you hook it up to your tank via tubes and you just circulate the water and it keeps the tank fairly cool, in your heat tho this may just overheat the fridge and turn it into a mini-hotbox which would in effect heat up your water...

4. put your tank in the basement, the basement tends to be the coolest area in a given home, even in your heat your basement should be much much cooler than your room, besides that the fish prolly won't mind the change of scenery nor the additional darkness.

5. put the tank directly below your a/c, but i doubt you have one as the temps you describe are crazy for a/c.

6. this one can be tricky, turn off your furnace and then place your tank over the hot air vent, this will funnel cooler air down towards your tank, but if you live on the second floor you will also get the hot air that rises into the vent from below, so it can be a risky situation.

7. (I forgot this one, my bad) put the fish in an already chilled cooler, if you have one of those plastic ones you can just fill it with treated water, add some ice baggies or wahtever to cool the water, acclimate the fish, then treat the cooler as an appropriately sized un-cycled tank (do water changes, monitor ammonia, etc), the water WILL remain colder for longer so plan accordingly, do not chill it to the high 60s because you figure it will warm up soon enough anyways, my own cooler tank can stay at the low 60s for about 5 or 6 hours before i need to re-add some ice, if you use salt in your water it will allow the water to cool much faster with less physical signs so you might have frozen fish in unfrozen water if you're not careful.

Last edited by shmifty5; 07-17-2010 at 05:41 AM. Reason: #7
shmifty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:29 AM   #4 
Shawtee

move your tank out of the sun, turn off the heater and put a fan near the top of it, watch the temperature doesnt drop to low though! and a put ice cubes in a container because when they dissolve they will put chlorine into your tank x
Shawtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #5 
frogipoi

Add cooler water but take out the betta so the water can age. After awhile put the betta back in. Slowly!
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #6 
vaygirl

I'm so sorry about your lil puffer. :( 119 is insane. I hope some of these suggestions help.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #7 
frogipoi

My friend was in California not so long ago.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #8 
truthequalslies

So far what I'm doing is I have those mini liquor bottles I filled them with water an froze them an I rotate them when they thaw its helping a lot guys thanks ^-^
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #9 
shmifty5

Wink

I bet using alcohol as a coolent would work better than water, it can reach much lower temps and it will porbably stay colder longer (it always seems my cold "drinks" stay colder for longer than a cold glass of water).

leaks would be bad tho, very very bad, like extremely bad... baggies would work tho, but a baggie leak is pretty easy...
shmifty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #10 
frogipoi

truthequalslies your link in your sig is broken. Good luck! I have a SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH right now. I need to send it to you!