Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #1 
Jupiter

I just don't get it...

I've had January (I like to call him Janus for short) for a week now. When I got him, his tail was a little ragged, but I thought it was nothing I couldn't fix.

But instead of getting better, his tail has been getting worse!

In the week that I've had him, I did a 50% change on the day I got him, a very minor cleaning up when Othello died on the weekend, and about a 20% change on Monday. So, yeah, I'd say the water is pretty clean! (this is my 10 gallon filtered tank, for those of you who don't know).

I've added aquarium salt, and I took out all the decor on Monday as a precaution and swapped it for some others, though I've never had a problem with them before...it was just to be safe.

Well, since Monday, his tail doesn't seem to be much worse, but it certainly isn't better.

I just don't get it. I wonder if he's just a serious tail biter? I'll try to take pictures on the weekend so you guys can compare-his tail is a lot shorter and more ragged now, his anal fin has got a sizable chunk removed (and it's pink/sort of bloody), and his dorsal seems to have split in two...which I don't think he would be able to reach himself.

I'm always out during the day (my classes all end at night), so I'm never really around to see if he's the one doing damage to his tail, or if it's something else...
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #2 
BettaBuddi1221

is there a plastic plant in his tank beause that will do it or is there any other fish, or is your gravel sharp. Mayby it is self inflicted. What ever you think it is set up a video camera and tape your fishe then wach it on the wekend.. ( Time consuming but efective!)
BettaBuddi1221 is offline   Reply With Quote