Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #11 
TaylorW

Hmm, I'm a bit of a newbie, but maybe try a little bit of aquarium salt? It helped with my betta's Ich and cleared up a cottony-spot he got on the side of his head. It's not really a med, and it doesn't hurt the fish if you don't use it for more than 10 days straight.

When my fish had Ich, I added aquarium salt and cranked the water temperature up to 82-84. I realize your fish doesn't have Ich, but maybe keeping the water at around 80 and adding salt will help?

Just be careful with raising the temp if you suspect bacteria is what's making your fish ill, cause some grow faster with extra heat

My fish responds really well to salt treatments, he really seems to perk up when I add it to his water when he's feeling bad.

Good luck with your fish!

Edit:*facepalms* You're already using salt, oops!

Last edited by TaylorW; 10-24-2010 at 10:53 PM.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #12 
TaylorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCaracal View Post
Do a 100% water change and add Jungle Fungus Eliminator. Raise the temperature to 80 degrees. I don't think the IAL has to do with any of this. I would hold back on using salt for now (not with meds).
Silver's advice is good, don't mix with salt! I've heard that med works well, but fortunately never have had to use it.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:02 AM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

Eek! I think that might be columnaris (http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/di...columnaris.htm), not a fungal infection. One of the symptoms is a 'saddleback' lesion near the dorsal fin, which you mentioned in your post. I've never had a fish with columnaris, but since it's bacterial, you will probably have to look at getting some antibiotics. Hopefully someone with more experience can add something.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #14 
ANHEL123

The FUNGUS ELIMINATOR BY JUNGLE CAN be good.I had good experience mixing it with TETRACYCLINE . It helped to treat FIN ROT,COLUMANARIS AND other bacteria.
I treating one of the betta right now with FUNGUS CURE by API + AQUARIUM SALT I can't say if it curing him but he is not getting worste.The instructions saying two doses required for full course of treatment. I just did first dose. But at least he definitely not worst.

Well it dose one,then 2nd in 48 hrs then another in 48 hrs so I will see how he doing. I am very superstitious so I afraid to say better until I finish treatment

But I want to fish guy he told me do not raise the water. Fungus like warm water.

The fish we treating now has white cottony stuff on fins and on one side of gill and some on one side of the back.

When I treated betta with FIN ROT about 1.3 years ago I treated him with TETRACYCLINE MIX TOGATHER WITH FUNGUS ELIMINATOR BY JUNGLE AND IT HALPED. I tried to do it with this fish it helped at the beginning then he get it again. I decided to treat him with FUNGUS CURE.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #15 
ANHEL123

I also tried to give him salt bath. How much salt I have to use? And for how long fish can be in it?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #16 
ecoprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Eek! I think that might be columnaris (http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/di...columnaris.htm), not a fungal infection. One of the symptoms is a 'saddleback' lesion near the dorsal fin, which you mentioned in your post. I've never had a fish with columnaris, but since it's bacterial, you will probably have to look at getting some antibiotics. Hopefully someone with more experience can add something.

OH MY GOSSSHHH!!!!! I think you are right! :( :(

I am going first thing tomorrow am to get some antibiotics! Oh geese i hope i catch it in time...i dont want Freddy to go thru that! :(

TYVM
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #17 
ANHEL123

Just want to ask if the fungus cleared?

My betta had symptoms like ur betta did and i think it cleared. I observe him yesterday for long time his body 100% better. Still afraid to say it completely gone i want to wait a little. I afraid it can return .
But FUNGUS CURE by API halped. He had a lot of white stuff hanging from gils,and body on a sides. But i don't think it was COLUMNARIS I think it was Fungus. I saw BETTA with COLUMNARIS before.

Well i will observe him again i hope he completely cleared.His behavior never change he is about 2 years old. He is very active huge fluorescing batta who love to eat :)

If this medication going to cleared my betta then I love the API AQUARIUM PHARMACEUTICALS BRANDS OF MEDICATIONS.It always helped. Like i say before i used TETRACYCLINE BY THE SAME brand with FUNGUS ELIMINATOR which helped us to recover other fish.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #18 
ecoprincess

I treated my betta with Furan II wich is for a range of bacterias and as he looks better the white/greyish colour is still there AND the sore on his side is not healing....i will try a fungus eliminator......hope it works. :(
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #19 
ANHEL123

I used FUNGUS CURE BY API . I still observe him and i really do that. I look at him from different angles and i have magnifying glass too. Some times if it a little bit of it u can’t see it. That how is my was if u look strait u can’t see it. I don't see white stuff any more. But i afraid to say he completely recovered.

The Medications i used it anti-fungal. The box instructions for WHITE COTTONY TUFTS OR PATCHES ON THE MOUTH,SKIN AND FINS;MOUTH FUNGUS.SLIMY PATCHES;BODY SLIME,FIN AND TAIL ROT.

There is about 10 or 12 powders in the box so i still have more do u want me to mail it to u. I can put in envelop and just mail it to u.

If u want it please sand me private msg that way it easier for me to see it. And I can do it today at my lunch brake.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #20 
ANHEL123

How is ur betta. Did fungus eliminator helped? I hope ur betta get better.

Tags
*his usual home is 5g*