Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #1 
fleetfish

At a loss.

I don't know what to do for my baby PK Chaco. but it seems that whatever this is is the cause for him refusing to eat,and it appeared yesterday. The poor guy can't open his mouth, and the lump or tumour or whatever it is seems to be bleeding a little. He's glass surfing too, and gulping air. It looks like a very bad jaw break or his face had just been smashed in. I've kept him in a heated tank overnight with some salt but I'm just so worried about him. He's lethargic and unresponsive if I swirl the water slightly ... he just floats .... OMG. Okay ... I just turned around to check on him and found him on the desk out of the water. I placed him back in his bowl (I was just using it for photos) and it seems like the tumour/pustule thing has broken. He's swimming madly around, just gasping for air then laying on the bottom ....

He's been with me for a week, so I don't know his prior conditions. Any help would be very much appreciated. It just doesn't look good for him.

I think I'm just going to euthanize him. He's very, VERY weak ... I honestly don't think he'll last another hour.

Last edited by fleetfish; 10-21-2010 at 08:49 AM.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #2 
Capricorn

Wow, he looks terrible! D: I have no idea what that is at all.. someone else might have a better idea.

You may want to consider putting him down.. though maybe wait to see if anyone else has an idea what's going on. If he's not going to be able to eat and is having trouble breathing, though, you may have to make that decision. If whatever that thing is broke, he could be in pain, as well.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:20 AM   #3 
ecoprincess

:(
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #4 
Bloodeath

...do you use those tiny flakes of colorful gravel, i was just reading an article about fish eating them and them getting lodged in their throat... :/

thats probably not whats happening, (and i hope not) but just from reading what you said, it kinda sorta sounds like it.
Bloodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #5 
fleetfish

I still have no idea what it could have been. I was researching trying to find some disease or infection to explain it, but it could have been just a freak incident. He died within twenty minutes of the thing breaking ... it was truly horrifying.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #6 
wystearya

I'm far from an expert, but it may have been Columnaris (also called Cotton Mouth). You may want to look it up. Even though your fish has passed, it might be nice to know what happened.

I'm sorry about your fish, it sounds (and looks from the pic) to have been quite traumatic.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #7 
Capricorn

I'm sorry Fleet. :c

Was he like that when you brought him home?
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote